The Legend: Chap. 2, Pt. 1

chapter ttwwwoooooooo

--------------------------------

2. First Day

Whoop-dee-freakin'-do where the first words I thought when I woke up that morning. It was Monday. Ugh. My weekend with Skye was fun, but now it was time to go back to one-hundred-something days of a routine that makes life run together from one day to the next. School.

I got out of bed drowsily. Is there any other way to get out of bed? It wasn't like I was all pepped up for "another year of fun school!" I laughed as I thought of who would say that this morning in a high-pitched tone. I committed cleanliness, ate breakfast, and put on my ugly school uniform. It was white, Kelly green, or royal blue polo, khaki anything for a bottom (pants, skirt, shorts, whatever) and, my personal touches, custom-designed converse High-tops, and fingerless arm gloves (I was pretty sure wearing arm bands were against the dress-code, but I figured Kiah pulled some strings). Okay, so, it wasn't that strict, but I still hated it. I despise lack of expression. But, that's just me, the artist. Another thing, your socks had to match! Now that just isn't necessary.

I just finished "Middle School" last year. I was going to "Junior High" now. To me, there's no difference, but not to the school board. I just think it's a waste of space. Anyway, my Jr. High school was a two-grade school, seventh and eighth. But, it had a total of eight-hundred students. It fed off of four different other middle schools, so I wasn't surprised to see some unfamiliar faces.

When I got on, I recognized one or two kids from last year. Right when I plopped down on the seat that was occupied by my friend, Meaghan, I heard her ever-peppy voice.

"Hi, Raisa! I missed you so much!" she said cheerfully.

"Yeah, you too." I wasn't always the most happy person in the world. She knew that, so I was glad when she didn't say anymore.

She was probably as nervous as I wasn't. I had already gotten my GED when I was fifteen, and took many college courses. What they were going to teach me wasn't anything I didn't already know. As for the bitchy-ness of the teachers and other students there, well, I'll live. For the most part, I just hoped I was mean enough for people to hate me. The last thing I wanted was another person to lie to. The buss pulled up to school, and I was the last one off. I took a deep breath and willed myself to control my temper, at least for the first day of school.

On the first day, everyone was told to find their name on a big sheet of paper taped to the wall, and go straight to class. For most of the seventh graders here, this is their first time switching classes. So, the teachers don't want to confuse them with locker bells when no one has been assigned a locker yet. It's all get-to-know-how-things-are-y on the first day, as you may well know.

So, while everyone crowded around the big sheet of paper, I stood several feet back, it wasn't like I couldn't see. I had extra-sharp senses, twenty times better than anyone else's. One quick look and I was on my way to the one-hundred wing. Thankfully, the only thing my mom noticed about me was that I excelled, beyond my grade in anything I did. I was very good at hiding, but I guess I couldn't hide everything. I was in "gifted" classes. I learned everything in eighth grade, while still being a seventh-grader. That's all it meant. It just meant I suffered a micro-graham less. But, I still suffered.

My home-room teacher's name was Ms. Krantz. She was my English-language-arts, and Social Studies teacher. The only thing I hoped for at the time was that she wasn't a complete and total bitch, little did I know that she would become one of my best friends, but you'll find out about that later.

Once I found her classroom, I plopped down in the desk that had the manila folder with my name on it. And, what do you know there was Meaghan, right next to me.