-sixteen-

I woke up the next morning to the sound of my alarm. I felt more alive today and figured that it was time to get my ass back to school. 

I'll admit that it made me sad that I didn't find Billie Joe next to me when I woke up, but I understood. We couldn't be seen like this. God knows if Aunt Evelyn were to have walked in to my room at some point to find him naked in my bed, well. All hell would have broken loose and I would be dead by now.

I let out a sigh as I got out of my bed's warm embrace. It was so comforting, but I had been avoiding school for too long now. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a black skater dress, my black low top Converse and a faded jean jacket.

I did my regular makeup, brushed my teeth, and headed downstairs. I found my aunt sitting at the table, looking hungover as hell. 

"Aunt Evie, are you okay?" I asked softly.

"Do I look okay dumbass?" she growled, making me flinch slightly. I had never had my aunt talk to me like that before, it was weird.

I let out a sigh and grabbed myself a bowl of cereal.

"I'm sorry sweetie. I'm just not too great right now. Billie Joe told me that he found someone else and that's why I went out with the girls last night and got waaay too drunk" she sighed. I felt myself cringing. You have got to be kidding me. I should be happy that Billie broke it off with her, but all I felt was guilt. 

Why did I only feel good about being with Billie Joe when it was just him and I around?

I felt as if I was going to throw up. 

"I'm sorry to hear about that aunt Ev," I hugged her. "I didn't really like him anyway. You deserve better" and that was true. She deserved someone that didn't sneak around with someone else behind her back. Especially when that someone was her own damn niece. 

Call me crazy. Call me disgusting. Call me a whore, even. But I think I am falling in love with my teacher.

. . .

I approached the school as slow as possible. I had just gotten off the phone with Billie. I told him about my encounter with my aunt. He apologized a thousand times to me and it was cute but at the same time, I feel so terrible. Stupid brain. 

I didn't last five whole minutes until I heard a familiar voice. 

"MELINA! Holy hell you're alive!" Ashton shouted dramatically, causing many students to stare at us. 

I waved at him sheepishly, and he pulled me into the most ridiculous bear hug ever. 

"Okay-OKAY Ashton, put me down!" I breathed out. He put me down gently and I made the mistake of making eye contact with Michael. The two of us hadn't spoken since I heard him confess to Luke that he loves me. 

"Melina, can we talk?" he asked sheepishly. 

I felt like my voice would crack so I just nodded. He took my hand and lead me down the hall. 

"Make good choices!" Calum shouted followed by the sound of something hitting him. "Ow, what the hell Luke?" 

We turned the corner and Michael led me into the same closet he pushed me into on my first day of school. He turned on the light and made sure to lock the door behind him. 

He cleared his throat and I noticed his hands were shaking. 

"Melina, I-" he looked as if he was giving himself a pep talk. "I may have jumped the gun when you heard me talking with Luke." 

I felt my shoulders drop in relief. He didn't love me. And I couldn't be mad at him for it because well, y'know.

"As in you, don't... love me?" I asked for clarification.