Chapter One

"Lia," A voice says gently from my side.

My eyes are too heavy to open, as a result, I keep them shut, watching the pictures play out in my head. Images of racing cars on a dark street flash in my mind. The cars are heading straight for me — when their horns start blazing, that's when my eyes shoot open.

I search my surroundings quickly in fear. Looking down at my arm I see a long tube that leads to a bag of fluid. Beds and drapes scattered across the room. Men and women in white and blue uniforms. My throat and chest feel as though they're on fire when I attempted to sit myself up.

"Hey, take it easy," a deep voice says from my side. "how are you feeling?"

I look up to find a young handsome doctor. A full head of dark hair and chocolate brown eyes. My heart begins to race when I wonder what the hell am I doing here?

"Like a piano fell on my head" I admit.

"Well you're in the hospital, can you tell me your name?" The man in a traditional white doctors coat asks.

"Halia"

"Your full name" he urges with a smile.

"Halia Montgomery " I answer.

The doctor squints then furrows his eyebrows.

"Your date of birth?" He asks.

"I'll be twenty-one on November second...born 1995"

"Twenty-one?" He lowers his voice. "Halia, can you tell me today's date?"

"August twenty-something," I tell him, making him sigh in relief, "2015"

He widens his eyes in disbelief.

I could tell that something was wrong by the look in his eyes. It was as if I was answering the questions wrong, but how could that be?

"Halia, do you know why you're here?"

I look down at my shaking hands before shaking my head.

"The last thing I remember is being at my little sisters birthday party...I remember grabbing the cake to bring to the table and then it all goes...fuzzy..." I explain.

"Halia, you were hit by a car and sustained a head injury"

"Head injury? I was hit by a car?" I shoot him a blank look.

"Do you remember the accident?"

"No" I shake my head.

I begin. to feel scared and confused. It isn't the fact that I was hit by a car that worries me, it's the fact that I can't remember.

"Um Halia it seems that you've suffered some sort of amnesia"

The word amnesia begins echoing in my mind. There has to be some kind of mistake — but I don't believe that. If there were a mistake, why do I have no memory of the accident?

"No, see, I was just at my sister birthday party—"

"Halia" the doctor sighs, "it's the year 2021" he breaks to me slowly.

I pause, looking the doctor dead in the eye. I see his pain and the scars across his face. I want to believe him but how can I? I don't want to believe that I've lost six years of my life, It's impossible.

"2021" I repeat.

"I'm afraid so," he nods, "look, get some rest"

I need answers from people I know and trust. I can't get them here or from this doctor.