Epilogue

2027

Six years later.

I walked down the sidewalk wearing blue scrubs, holding a takeaway latte in my left hand while my hair gets caught in the wind.

My phone buzzes from my pocket where I find a text.

Can you finish your break early? Mr J just arrived.

I nod before stuffing my phone into my handbag, when I look up, I see two men, a woman and two kids. I know them as Chace, Evie, Daniel and a woman I've never seen holding a baby. Chace held Evie's hand while the woman held her baby. They both wear wedding bands on their left hand.

They all look up and meet my gaze. Chace half-smiled and waved which lead Evie to pull his hands.

"Whose that?" She asks.

The woman softens her gaze at me before looking down at Evie. I feel a sense of ease knowing that that little girl doesn't remember me because in the end, she was never mine and I was never meant to be hers.

Daniel approaches me cautiously, his left hand bare. I saw Daniel once on a subway three years ago. He didn't see me then. Before that moment, I hadn't seen any of them since that day in Me and Chaces apartment.

"Hi" Daniel greets, his voice lower and smooth.

"Hi" I smile, "Halia Montgomery"

He takes my hand to shake.

"Daniel Cooper" he smirks, "so, did you repeat history?"

I became a nurse at a hospital in Georgia. I lived with my mum for a while before getting an apartment. I moved back here when my dad got sick and have been working at a local hospital.

"I still become a nurse but that's the only thing that remained the same" I admit.

I still dream about her, about Lia Cooper. Her demons aren't mine but her monsters still find away to haunt my dreams, trying to scare me into submission.

"Did you meet someone?"

I shake my head.

"Unlucky in love, if that wasn't already painfully obvious" I smirk. "What about you?"

"As single as can be" Daniel tells me with our handshake still lingering, "can I buy you a cup of coffee sometime?"

His wide smile shows his teeth while his eyes examine my soul – and I'm looking at him the exact same way.

"I'd like that" I admit, walking beside him down the footpath.

My mind flashes back to the girl six years ago sitting in the passenger seat of Caroline's car on the way to her apartment. I had just left them all behind and my mind was filled with doubt and unease.

"I understand why you left Chace and maybe I can understand Evie...but Daniel?" Caroline sighed.

I looked out the window.

"If you love someone, set them free" I told her.

And if they come back, never let the go.

The end.
———————————————

Hi all!

The original ending of this book (as well as the original story in general) was very different to this version. I wrote the original in 2015 — I can't believe how fast these six years have gone! Crazy. I hope everyone enjoyed the ending of this book, please let me know your thoughts!!!

Thank you so much for your support xx

- Rose xx