Chapter Five

When I arrive at Caroline's apartment, I place my bags onto the floor beside my bed in the spare room. Blank walls and no colour. I couldn't stop thinking about the accident. Why was Daniel there? How do I know him and his brother? I guess if you want to know something about someone, you just have to ask them.

"Where are you going?" Caroline calls from the living room.

"For a walk" I respond, walking towards the front door quickly.

"Maybe I should go with you" she suggests.

"I'm a grown-ass woman" I remind her, shutting the door behind me.

I exhale slowly from the hallway. Walking quickly towards the staircase, my body feels as though it's flying as I climb down each step at such a speed. When I make it to the bottom floor I furrow my brows. I didn't know I could move that fast down the staircase.

I brush off the thought and hail a cab when I make it outside the building and onto the sidewalk.

***

I walked through the hospital hall where I looked for the man that was the subject of the majority of my questions. I spot him in the ER talking to a nurse. I stop in my tracks once I reach him, he turns his head and meets my gaze.

"Halia" Daniel's eyes are wide and confused.

"I know you saved my life" I admit slowly, not breaking eye contact.

My mind then wanders back to the memory. It was raining, pouring actually and somehow I ended up on the highway. I fell to the road once the car hit me and Daniel came to my side and held me tight. He called the ambulance. Keep your eyes open, was the last thing I heard because everything went blank.

Daniel looks over to the nurse.

"I'll give you two some privacy," she says, leaving our sight.

"Halia, what are you talking about?" Daniel reverts his gaze back to me.

"I remember you at my side when I was hit by that car but there are a few things I don't understand and I think..." I stumble on my words, "I think that you can make sense of it all...how did I get on that highway?"

"I don't know what you're talking about" he lies, walking to the admissions desk where he drops files to the receptionist.

"Yes you do, Stop lying!" I beg. I then pause, lowering my voice. "Please, you were there, you saw what happened, please tell me the truth"

He shakes his head, walking down the hall, away from all the people. I follow him desperately.

"I can't" Daniel admits.

"Why not?" My voice weakens.

"Because..." Daniel trails off, "I don't want you to remember" he blurts out.

The look in his eyes tells me that he wasn't supposed to tell me that.

"Excuse me?" I take a step closer fearfully.

"Forget it" he shakes his head.

"No, you can't just say that to me and say forget it" I cry. "What happened to me?"

"You wanted to be hit by that car" he continues, sadness in his eyes. "You weren't supposed to survive, let alone with holes in your memory"

"No, I wouldn't do that" I shake my head with wide eyes.

"Then why did you jump in front of that God damn car?" he says, this time cold eyes — almost as though he's trying to make himself numb.

"Get away from me!" I screamed.

"Let me help you" Daniel begged.

"I don't need your help!"

"I ran in front of that car because you were chasing me" I remember, "I would never try to kill myself"

"Maybe in 2015 but in 2021 you're a completely. different. person" He clenches his jaw.

"How would you know that?" I fold my arms, "who the hell are you, Daniel? I mean, really?"

"Dr Cooper in room 601, Dr Cooper" a voice on the speaker announces.

"You've got to give me something here Daniel" I beg weakly.

"I've got to go"

"Who are you to me?" I repeat. "Please, Daniel"

He doesn't respond and instead disappears into the distance.

I walked down the opposite direction of the hallway struggling to make sense of what just happened. Daniel was more than just my doctor, I knew it. Then who is he? And who is his brother Chace? I don't understand why they don't answer my questions. It's obvious that Daniel doesn't want me to remember my life, but maybe he's not the only one — maybe no one wants me to remember?

Once I arrive at the elevator, I press my index finger against the large circle button labelled 'G' which brings me to the ground level. Before I know it, I'm in a cab, on my way back to Caroline's apartment.

When I get back, Caroline swings the door open and looks horrified.

"Where have you been?" She cries.

"I went for a walk" I answer, pushing past her to get into the apartment.

"You were gone for hours, Halia!"

"What am I, a child? I'm twenty-something year's old, Care" I remind her.

"Twenty-six," she tells me.

"I'm the one who taught you everything from tying your shoes to driving dads beat-up old car" I continue, "Don't treat me like I'm some kind of mindless idiot"

Caroline folds her arms before sighing. "You're right, I'm sorry"

I don't say anything more. I twist on my heels before marching to the guest bedroom where I fall to my mattress and study the ceiling.

If no one wants to help me get my memory back then I think that I need to start trying to solve this puzzle on my own.

———————————————

A/N

Hi all, I hope everyone is enjoying this book so far. Updates aren't coming in as fast as I would like because I've recently been putting all my time into work.

Please let me know your thoughts and don't forget to vote if you're enjoying this book!

Thank you

Rose xx