Chapter Sixteen

I take my fist and knock against the wooden door anxiously. Tapping my fist just as Dad swings the door open and faces me. His brows furrowed and his lips stretched to a smile.

"Halia, what are you doing here?" He asks.

"I need your help" I admit, walking through his home.

"With what?" Dad closes the front door and follows me to the kitchen curiously. "Does someone know you're here?"

We take a seat around the kitchen table.

"I'm trying to piece everything together. And you're the only one whose been there for everything" I start. "And I think you'll be honest with me"

I pull out my phone quickly, showing him the timeline I had drawn up in my notes.

"Does someone know you're here?" He repeats.

"No" I shake my head. "And you can't tell anyone okay, I don't want anyone to know what I'm up to because they'll try and stop me from getting answers, and I need answers, dad"

He sighs, look at my phone screen slowly.

He looks away, "you're timeline is wrong"

"What?"

"Your timeline is wrong," Dad tells me, "we found out about the affair in 2015...we didn't know it was with your college professor till 2016. Evie was born in April 2019, not 2018."

"Oh" I look down at my timeline.

"You and Chace got married in 2018" he adds.

I nod, editing my list quickly.

"What about Dean? Did we start seeing each other and break up all in 2016?"

Dad nods, "yeah. you started seeing Chace not long after...early 2017, I think"

"Was there anything else in 2017? So far I just have seeing Chace"

"You started waitress in 2017" he adds, "you also started therapy that year"

I look up from my timeline to face my father.

"Therapy?" I furrow my brows.

"Yeah because of all that stuff that happened with Dean, messed you up pretty bad, kid" he explains, sipping his coffee.

"What stuff?" I lower my voice.

"Oh maybe I shouldn't have said anything" he looks away.

"No Dad, please" I beg, "what happened with Dean?"

"It was a long time ago, Halia" dad sighs, "the past belongs in the past...that's what I would always tell you...but you could never let all that go. It started coming between family, your friends, your marriage. Your life. That's what caused the separation, you know. All because you couldn't set your self free of him."

"What happened, dad?" I whisper.

"If I tell you...it'll all go back to how it was before" he sighs, "I feel like I've got you back. The you were before him"

"Don't I deserve to know?"

"I'm not the one to tell you" dad shrugs.

I nod, looking back at my finalised list.

2015:
- August is the last I remember.
- Found out about the affair

2016:
-Mum and Dad divorce.
- Mum and Hank Marry
- drop out of college
- starts dating Dean
- started volunteering at the hospital
- Mets Daniel and Chace
- breaks up with Dean

2017:
- started waitressing
- starting dating Chace
- started therapy

2018:
- Mum left Hank.
- Chace and I married in June

2019
- Evie was born in April

2020
- lockdown
- gets pregnant

2021
- miscarriage
- Chace and I seperate
- accident

I look up at my father.

"Is all this right?" I ask again.

He nods. "As far as I know"

Dad and I sit silently in his kitchen, looking down at my cellphone.

"I think I'm going to go see Mum" I announce, "I think I should start from the start of the timeline and slowly make my way through...maybe it'll trigger some memories?"

Dad nods.

"Do what you need to do, Halia"

I half-smile.

"Thank you for your help" I wrap my arms around him. "You won't tell anyone will you?"

"Tell anyone what?" He smirks, followed by a wink. "I love you, kid"

"I love you too, Dad" I kiss his cheek before leaving the house.

I pull the letter out of my pocket that has my mother's phone number and whereabouts.

Dear Halia,
I know you don't want anything to do with me but you need to understand my intentions and what's in my heart. This thing with Hank has hurt you and I'm sorry, I'm leaving Hank and this city. I know what it's doing to you and this family so I don't tend to Stay. I thank you for not telling anyone about my problem, I'll get help and again I'm sorry for what I did to Caroline. If you want to contact me I'll be in Atlanta, Georgia. My phone number has changed to 555-6161, I love you Halia, that will never change no matter how horrible you are to me. I wish you all the best in your life.
Mom xoxo

I then re-read the part that stands out most to me: thank you for not telling anyone about my problem, I'll get help and again I'm sorry for what I did to Caroline.

What problem is she referring to? And what did she do to Caroline? I doubt anyone here would tell me the truth. The only way to get answers is by retracing my steps — I need to start from the beginning of the timeline and work by way down. The first thing here is mums affair, so that's who I have to see next.

When I make it to the curb, I call an Uber quickly who picks me up within twenty minutes.

"Are you travelling for business or for pleasure?" The driver asks.

I look down at my bitten nails.

"Business" I admit before looking out the window.