The Beginning

Normal POV:

My paranormal professor invited me to his house for some reason Kalina doesn't want me to go because she doesn't want me alone with him but I reassured her. When I got to his house I knocked he answered after 5 minutes " ah Cassidy I'm so happy you chose to visit " He said welcoming me inside. We then went to his study "wow this is so cool" I said looking around his study seeing all kinds of stuff. I sat down in front of his desk as he took his seat " What do you need anyways sir " ? I asked looking at him. He sighed " I need to know more about the Machine I know we talked about it today in class but that was only bits and pieces wasn't it " He said. I looked at him " umm Sir if you don't mind me asking why? I mean this sort of information could be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands." I explained to him fidgeting in my seat a little now uncomfortable. " I can assure you I'm just interested you know you can trust me Miss. Parker." He assured me. I hesitated for a moment " well then. Basileus's Machine is a house like machine designed by the devil, and powered by the dead. It physically resembles a mansion with walls made of ectobar glass etched with containment spells, and a central core of huge, mechanical gears and a rotating crest of rings. It requires..."I stop and hesitate for a moment. " Twelve earth bound spirits which represent The Black Zodiac in order to work. Once the machine is activated, it will open the Ocularis Infernum." I stopped to take a breath. " Here is some water Miss. Parker " Professor Kriticos said handing me a cup of Water. " Thank you " I said getting a drink. " The blueprints for the machine were written in The Arcanum by the 15th century astrologer Basileus while he was under demonic possession " I finish explaining. He looked at me and nodded " Tell me about the Black Zodiac " He says I nodded. " The Black Zodiac is the dark counterpart of the Western Astrological Zodiac. Both of which originated from the Babylonian Zodiac. Through centuries of repeated reinterpretation and adaption by numerous cultures including Greek, Roman, and Hindu, the original Zodiac was filtered to represent only the good side of one's personality. This long history of revision eventually resulted into the modern Zodiac that became the pillar of Western Astrology." I stop to get some air. " As the name denotes, the Black Zodiac represents the evil side of the human creature. These demons are one's inherent will and capacity to ultimately cause harm to oneself and others. This evil however, should not be feared. Like good, it can be harnessed and turned into something useful." I take another breath and take a drink of water. " Each of the Black Zodiac embodies the morbid traits that are as unique as each person. It is important to know,face, and nurture one's demons in order to manipulate it for personal benefit. The Black Zodiac are as follows " I stop. He looks at me confused " Why did you stop "? he asked. I sighed " you might want to write this down " I inform him he gets out a piece of paper and pen.

" The First Born Son: The Ghost of a little boy who dies of a shot through the head.

   The Torso: Missing his legs, and/or his waist.

   The Bound Woman: Strangled and broken neck.

   The Withered Lover: Loved one Burned to Death.

   The Torn Prince: This ghost has much of the skin on the right side of his body missing, leaving the bones and muscles.

   The Angry Princess: This ghost apparently dies by committing suicide.

   The Pilgrimess: Female Pilgrim that came here during the colonial period.

   The Great Child and The Dire Mother: The Eight and Ninth ghosts The Great Child is the ghost of a very large and overweight child,

and the Dire Mother is that of a very small mother.

   The Hammer: This ghost is that of a strong and muscular blacksmith who wields a large hammer.

   The Jackal: The Jackal is apparently the ghost of a disheveled man wearing a cage on his head.

   and The Juggernaut: This ghost is that of a tall, ugly and muscular man."

He puts down the pen " is that the order they go in " ? He asked. I nodded " yes Sir " I said. He looked pleased. He smiled " Thank you, you can go now " Professor Kriticos said I nodded and stood up. " see you in class " I said and left the house and went home. When I got there Kalina was sitting in the kitchen "how did it go"? she asked. " good nothing crazy except " I started to say but stopped she looked at me. " except what "? she asked I sighed she stood up and came over to me " What did Cyrus want "? she asked. I took a deep breath " he asked me more about Basilius's Machine and I told him everything..." I said but then she cut me off. "you What!?"she yelled now pasing. "Calm down. I told him everything except about the Thirteenth ghost he thinks there is only twelve." I tell her placing a hand on her arm " I'm smarter then I look and you know better then to think that I would tell him about the thirteenth ghost " I finish she finally smiles and nodes. " I know sorry " she said I smile " its ok I would've reacted the same way me and you are imposition of the Arcanum after all so I kind of have to be smart " I say she laughs and nodes. " yea or we would be so screwed." She says laughing. "yea. I'm going to bed I got classes in the morning which should be interesting " I say and walk out of the room and up the stairs to my room.