Piece of Art

Trigger. Warning. Stay safe you special squareflake.

***

Dan was addicted to pain, not self harm- at least that's what he told himself.

He played nervously with the rubber band that put pressure on his wrist, wanting desperately to pull it back and let it snap his skin. But the room was silent, filled with kids hunched over their seats and desperately guessing answers before the clock buzzed.

Two more minutes.

Dan was sure if he let the band snap once nobody would hear it, but he also knew that he wouldn't be able to resist not doing it twice, or three times, or until he was let out of sixth period.

His stomach groaned at the lack of food, and he started dozing off from no energy and lack of sleep- the only thing that kept him awake was the urge to have a blade sliced across his skin, or hot metal being pressed against it.

He winced at the thought, just making him want to do it more. His wrist throbbed as if wanting to be cut.

He looked around the room for a distraction, and caught eyes with a boy sitting diagonally from him. He quickly glanced away but still felt eyes on him.

Dan quickly pulled his sweater over his hands to cover up the wristband and the red and white stripes on his skin.

The buzz of the clock startled Dan and made him jump a bit, hearing a small chuckle from someone in the room.

He heard the teacher sigh, "y'all know what to do get on with it."

The class got up and huddled at the end of the teachers desk, stapling, writing names and turning the test in, which had the teacher rolling his eyes.

Dan was one of the last ones to turn his in, along with the boy who he had exchanged eye contact with as he was waiting for the clock to buzz.

"Hey, why do you have a girls elastic on?" Dan heard a whisper come from the right.

His heart thudded for a moment, but then he quickly mumbled, "if a girl needs an elastic, I would love to give her one." And hurried to his seat to grab his backpack and leave. But he heard footsteps follow behind him.

Dan rolled his eyes and gripped onto the sleeve of his sweater with his right  hand tightly, knowing from previous events, if a strange peer from school wanted to know something about your arms, they're mostly going to try and find out their way.

He stopped at the doorway so the odd boy could catch up with him- there wouldn't be a point to run away now, he just had to deal with not harming for another few minutes.

Which made him internally groan.

"Has a girl actually asked you for a hair tie before?" The blonde asked, finally walking next to Dan.

"It's come up a few times." Dan responded, trying to tell the boy that he clearly wasn't very interested in continuing the conversation.

"And you've had that on for how long?" The blonde asked, not getting Dan's hints.

"Year eight."

"Wow, what a gent." The blonde laughed.

Is this dude stupid or does he just want to make my life miserable Dan rolled his eyes.

"I'm Hudson." The blonde introduced himself, holding a hand out for Dan to shake.

"I really don't care, I'm not looking for a friendship. Thanks." Dan turned and walked away from Hudson.