New Kid

I'm sorry

***
Dan stumbled down the stairs to the smell of burning.

He had awoken to the sent, and sprung out of bed to check on what it was. His heart raced almost as quick as his feet as he shot down the hallway and down the stairs- using the walls as support on the way.

He sighed in relief to see his brother standing by the toaster, fanning the smoke coming out of it with a towel.

He turned around at the sound of Dan's footsteps and leaned back against the granite kitchen counter- with an obvious shake in his voice, he mumbled, "Don't tell mom?"

Dan shook his head, and walked to him, "Wouldn't think of it," He said, observing the scene.

He motioned his brother to 'come here'. Without hesitation, he lunged over to where Dan was and hid behind him. Dan put a protective hand on his brothers chest before approaching the sparking toaster.

Aprroching the appliance like it was a rabid dog, without looking away from the metal burn box of death, he opened the drawer beside him. He felt around for the two oven mitts, put them on, and leaped over to the plug and pulled it out like a sword through a body.

"Dan, there was no need to go all Rick Grimes mode. It's a toaster."his brother remarked.

"It was a fucking dangerous toaster. That toaster threatened me and my group." Dan grimaced before looking at his brother and laughing.

"You're a dork." His brother smiled up at him.

"You're a nerd." Dan said, ruffling the younger boys hair.

***

After Dan's brother had left the house, the emptiness and loneliness swept over not only the building, but Dan as well.

It was like his brother was a drug, getting him high whenever he was there. His energy levels, his happiness, his personality- everything was higher. When he left, Dan was lower than low, withdrawal symptoms would kick in as soon as his presence was gone. He would go back to being a saturation- and-warmth-went-down-to the-lowest -level, and-the-brightness-sunk down-with-it picture that nobody liked. It was just there.

New student today, Dan thought as he grabbed his bag.

Maybe this one will be different, he had secretly hoped. He had little faith, this one would probably be just like the rest. Dan would most likely have to shut him out too. Put those cold grey steel walls in front of him and the new kid, just like he did with all the others. Lock himself in the small, dark, square room. Not talking. Not eating. Not living.

Just existing.

***

He hadn't seen the new kid all day.

Dan wasn't necessarily looking for them, but when that's the only thing on his mind that slightly interests him, it's hard not to think about it.

His wrist was burning from the red lines that had appeared this morning at around three. He switched his wristband over to his other hand without drawing much attention to his arms and pulled his sleeve down. The winced at the pain, and tried keeping a straight face as he weaved in and out of people in the hallway.