Part 13

"Sure, of course- I mean, if it's all right if my family comes too." Charlie grinned from ear to ear along with his family.

"Oh, my dear boy, of course they can't" Mr Wonka said, still smiling. "You can't run a chocolate factory with a family hanging over you like an old dead goose! No offense."

"None taken- jerk." Grandpa George muttered.

Juliet couldn't believe her ears.

"A chocolatier has to run free and solo. He has to follow his dreams, gosh darn the consequences. Look at me- I had no family, and I'm a giant success." Mr Wonka continued.

Charlie frowned at the man and looked up at Juliet's crestfallen face. That itself caught Mr Wonka's attention as he looked over to Juliet, feeling immensely guilty and heartbroken as well.

Before he could say anything to her, Charlie spoke up again "So if I go with you to the factory, I won't ever see my family again?"

"Yeah! Consider that a bonus!" At this point, Mr Wonka wondered why he kept talking such foolish words, only hurting her more.

"Then I'm not going. I wouldn't give up my family for anything- not for all the chocolate in the world." Charlie stated, grabbing Juliet's hand.

Mr Wonka looked from Charlie to Juliet and wanted to say something to the girl but when she gave him a frown and turned away, his heart broke. He looked genuinely hurt and to the buckets, it'd seem like it's from Charlie's rejection. When in fact, Charlie knew it was from Juliet's rejection.

"Oh, I see... that's weird." He muttered, looking down and moving back into his elevator.

In one last hope of getting at least an heir from all this, Mr Wonka tried again. "There's other candy too besides chocolate!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wonka. I'm staying here." Charlie said with determination.

"Wow. Well, that's just unexpected and... weird. But I suppose in that case, I'll just... goodbye, then. Sure you won't change your mind, then?"

"I'm sure." Charlie said, tightening his hold on Juliet.

"Okay... bye." He said and swiftly got back into his elevator, the doors closed and at that moment, Juliet and Mr Wonka's eyes met.

Both communicated silently with all the hurt they felt as the box lifted off again, with Mr Wonka looking down into her eyes the whole way.

Juliet wouldn't cry, she wouldn't dare, she knew that if she did, she'd truly become broken.

After a long silent pause, grandma Georgina spoke up with a bright smile "things are going to get much better!"

The next morning, Juliet helped her parents and Charlie fixing the hole in the roof before telling them she was going away to stay with a friend in America for a while.

They hadn't wanted to let her go at first but knew it'd be much better than here as her parents knew Juliet's friend was rather wealthy and would take care of their daughter.

Charlie had cried his eyes out at first and begged her not to go because of Mr Wonka but Juliet assured him, it wasn't because of that man but because she was offered a chance to study there.