seventeen: be my friend

UNEDITED

When junior year began, there was a huge distance between us

When junior year began, there was a huge distance between us. We turned from being close friends to strangers over one summer. It was quite awkward considering the fact that we still had to sit next to each other in music club. Our greetings consisted of curt nods and silent hellos. It took some time getting used to, but third month into school and acting as if we were strangers became second nature to me.

"Um...Al, can we talk." You whispered out of the blue. I was doodling in my notebook as Mr. Lee rambled on about something irrelevant to that day's meeting plans. None of the students really paid attention to his occasional rants. But at times when I was guilty of stealing glances at you, I noticed how your eyes followed him with interest and the way you would slightly nod as if you were in agreement with his commentary.

It made me feel funny inside when I looked at you. It was as if a million ants were creeping up from underneath my skin and my cheeks would suffer from a burning sensation.

"Yeah," I replied dropping my pen and averting my attention to you and your tousled brown hair.

Your hands were clutched to your desk and you wouldn't look me in the eye. "I have a favor to ask you," You gulped nervously, beads of sweat gathering around your forehead.

This made me question myself. Did I go too far when I promised myself to stay away from you? Had it really come to the point where even a word would draw tension?

"What favor?" I responded my heart pounding.

"It's just...my girlfriend...I think she's cheating on me. And I really need you to help me right now." Your voice cracked and my expression softened. You hit my weak spot, you.

"I don't really know what I can do to help you Taehyung. I'm sorry." I gave you an honest smile and hesitant to touch you, I lightly patted your back. You flinched and I immediately drew my hand away, afraid.

"Can we just be friends again. Because you're a great friend and I'm sorry I was such a jerk. I promise this time I won't play around. It's hard having no one."

"I-yeah. I'll be your friend." Your lips tugged at its corners.

Crap. I liked you Taehyung.
I still liked you.

But I knew my place in the life of Kim Taehyung. I was a friend. A great friend. And that's what you needed me to be in your life, even if it meant that my heart would be broken.