II.

''Welcome to Dauntless. Where you both face your fears and try not to die in the process, or you leave a coward. We've got a record low of faction transfers this year, unsurprisingly. My name is Amar. I'm your initiation instructor. I grew up here, and three years ago, I passed initiation with flying colors, which means I get to be in charge of the newcomers for as long as I want. Lucky you.''

I took a look around and my gaze immediately goes to a quite tall boy standing off to the corner. He wears a blue suit which tells me he is transferring from Erudite. His short brown hair is slicked back, he had steel grey eyes and a smirk on his face. He looked physically very fit, broad-shouldered and muscular.

I shifted my gaze, to my left side an Amity girl, two Candor boys, to my right, a Candor girl, a Dauntless boy I know called Zeke and the Abnegation boy from earlier. There are only eight of us and I wonder who is going to pass initiation.

"The only way to get into the dauntless compound from this rooftop is to jump off this ledge," Amar says.

I knew we have to jump, and who knows what else we would have to do.

"As usual, I offer the opportunity to go first to our initiates, Dauntless-born or not." He gestures to it.

The first jumper was Zeke and after Amar's introduction, the faction transfers were given a tour before dinner. The first stop on our tour of the compound was the Pit, then the Pire, The Chasm, and other minor places.

When it was over, Max- The council representative from Dauntless- welcomed us. He also introduce us the rules and stages of initiation.

There are three stages of initiation:

Stage One - Physical

Stage Two - Emotional

Stage Three – Mental

...

I grabbed my tray of food, and looked around for a place to sit. The cafeteria was noisy and crowded. It was jam-packed with people in dark clothing, streaked bangs, and tattoos and piercings. Some of them punching one another's arms, throwing food, tousling one another's hair. I scanned my surroundings once more and spotted the kid from the train sitting by himself.

''Hey...'' I greeted as I slid into a seat across from him. He continued eating and looking straight ahead as if I wasn't there. I didn't get a small grin or a friendly nod in return.

''Not a big talker, huh? ''

''I'm not interested'' he said.

I frowned.

''I'm not interested in making friends'' he repeated.

''I thought you may want some company''

''I'm good''

''Alright, but just so you know...everyone needs a friend'' I said and took a giant bite out of the burger.

He looked around the room. He seemed a little tense, but not uncomfortable.

''You okay?''

He hesitates for a moment but answers, ''Yeah''

He then got up taking his tray of unfinished food with him.

''Alright, suit yourself'' I sighed.

...

After dinner, we were given a full change of clothes and a high-ranking member leads us to our dormitory, in which both, boys and girls have to share.