III.

I emerged from the simulation with a yell. I'm sweating and shaking. Amar studies me for a few seconds.

''I know'' I felt a small rush of anger.

He says nothing and offers me his hand. I take it and let him pull me to my feet.

I had to leave, so I did. I returned to the dining hall and sit down at the table, among my newly friends.

''So...how was it? How'd you do?''

''Ah...I did okay I think...'' I trailed off. 

I heard Amar's voice from the other table. ''None of you did as well as Four over here, though'' I frown. Four? It was the guy from the train. I stare at him along with the other initiates, wide-eyed. Amar pats him in the shoulder.

''Hey, Tori'' Amar calls over his shoulder. ''You ever heard of anyone having only four fears in their fear landscape?''

I leaned forward and put my elbows on the table.

''Last I heard, the record was seven or eight. Why?'' Tori calls back.

"I've got a transfer over here with only four fears."

At that I do look at him. He's smiling a little.

"That's got to be a new record," Tori says.

Later, everyone went to sleep but I didn't. I got out of bed, slipped on my trusty pair of boots on and threw a jacket on. I walked towards the right side of The Pit and to a hallway near the Chasm and then sat against the wall. The Chasm was a beautiful ravine filled with rapidly running water and sharp rocks. Several people have chosen to dive into The Chasm and were considered brave. They say that it was better than smoking or sipping from a whiskey bottle in the middle of the night. I wonder if it's true.

Moments later I heard footsteps and saw Four walk down the steps and over to the other side.

''Hey''

He whipped his head around quickly.

''Oh, I'm sorry, I thought- ''

''It's okay. I come in here, too''

He hesitates for a moment and walks over, sitting down next to me. I looked up at him, not knowing what to do, what he did though, surprised me. There's an awkward pause, and Four looks almost afraid to ask, but he finally does.

''You okay?''

''I would think it's fairly obvious why I'm here''

"I thought you weren't interested in making friends'' That made him smile a little.

"Alright, now we're getting somewhere''

''I guess. Sorry I, I'm just...not good at making friends. Besides, I think alliances may come in handy later''

''Okay. You know, you are kind of a mystery to me, Four'' 

He looked down at his lap and a small smile appeared on his face.

(Now, we all know Four isn't the friendly type and that he doesn't really reveals his real name to anybody but he felt he could trust Allison. I want Allison to be the first friend Four makes at Dauntless so yeah...)

''You know, if you ever in need for an in-depth tour of the place, let me know'' He nod and got up so he could lean towards the iron barrier that was blocking the edge.

After the small talk with Four I decided to head back to the dormitories. In one side of our dormitories we had a big tiled room with two pillars with four of five showerheads per pillar. We had our exhibitionists, both boys and girls, who parade around naked and make everyone uncomfortable, the ones who didn't care and the shy types who change as quickly as possible.