12. Recruited

"I need a favor," I went straight to the point. Loud cheers rang from the other end making Ryder's voice impossible to hear. Shuffling noises and a loud bang of a door soon took over, making it quiet once again.

"Anything for you. But you'll have to meet me. I'll message you the address," he quickly hung up to get back to the party. I rolled my eyes and mentally prepared myself for the horrid party I'll be dragged into once again. I peeked into Brooke's hospital room to see her staring at the ceiling. Knocking on the door lightly, I bid her goodbye and promised to visit everyday.

"Wait!" She called out. I froze from walking away and turned back around, "Yes?"

"When does it get better?" She asked. I shifted my footing to the other, feeling as if she just asked me what the meaning of life was.

"I'll tell you when I find out," I smiled sadly.

•••

"Oh hey! You're here!" Blue happily skipped over to me, and dragged me inside the crowded house. It was the typical party quite honestly. A bunch of passed out drunk teens in the corner, the socialites who think they're too cool, and druggies doing what they do best.

"Hey," one twin said. "Tessa," the other finished. I looked at them weirdly before being strung along by Blue. She tackled her way through the crowd, puffing up her chest and daring anyone to fight her if they would confront her. We finally made it in the backyard which was not as crowded as the house.

"Baby you're back," Ryder came out of nowhere and gave me a deadly bear hug. I felt all the air escape my lungs from the sheer force he put. It felt like he was trying his hardest to make sure I wouldn't leave. After tapping him on his back multiple times as a sign of surrender, he broke the hug off and wrapped an arm around my waist instead.

Breathe Tessa, breathe. He's the best source of info at the moment and it doesn't hurt to have them help me with my battles. Don't punch him. Don't punch him. Don't punch him.

Repeating that mantra in my head over and over, I sighed out feeling way more relaxed. I have to be focused in order to get my goal.

"Guys, this is Tessa. My girl." Ryder announced in front of a group of men wearing vests and leather jackets with the same patch. Serpent. They all greet me with respectful nods while I tried to do the same. Sure, I may or may not be using him but I never agreed to being in a relationship with this dude. Who the fuck does he think he is.

"Your girl?" I whispered with a plastered smile. Ryder leaned his face closer with a smirk, "Yes. Got a problem?" My hands clenched into fists ready to pounce. He was getting on my nerves.

"Oh, boy do I have-" I started to protest, shrugging his hold off.

"Boss! We got him!" A couple of men came in dragging a very much sweaty looking bald man. He was shivering in fear, his beady eyes looking around him in terror.

"Well hello there Mr. Maines," Ryder chuckled darkly as he approached the guy. I stood back with my arms crossed, confused as to what I should do. "I'm just gonna go..." I slowly walked away pointing back to the house where everyone was.

"Stay," Ryder insisted. I paused mid-step, with a raised brow. Why would he want me to stay when he has something to deal with.

"This won't take long."

BANG.

I flinched back from the ear deafening sound that echoed throughout the backyard. Everyone paid no mind to the guy screaming in pain. As if it were a typical night.

"So," Ryder slowly strode over to Mr. Maines on the floor groaning in pain. His leg shot and bleeding everywhere. No one bothered to help, hell I didn't know what the fuck to do. Ryder crouched down next to Mr. Maines, the gun now hoisted up next to his temple.

"I want my money. Either I get it by the end of this week, or..." Ryder points to the bleeding leg, "This will be aimed at your head next time."

Mr. Maines frantically nods, looking paler by the second. Ryder smiled with an evil glint in his eyes, "Good."

"Take him away. My girl needs me," He carelessly waves his gun towards the opposite direction where his men dragged Mr. Maines away. I stood there, still gawking. Did I really make the best decision?

I think, yes. Although Ellie's family was heavily influential within the mafia community, followed by her husbands ties to a gang, I couldn't risk letting them know of my intentions. They know Nick and Brooke all too well. I can't fail Brooke. I promised.

"I need to know more about the KYS drug," I said as he approached me with a smirk. He slowly wrapped his arms around me, his face pressed against my neck.

"What're you doing?" I sighed defeated knowing if I were to struggle, my efforts would be futile. He resumed position while mumbling, "Nothing."

"So are you going to tell me or am I just wasting my time?" I pushed him off with all the strength I had, barely even moved him. He rolled his eyes and in fake hurt, "Is that the only thing I'm good for?"

"The 'date' we had sent me to the hospital," I deadpanned. He raised his hands in mock surrender, "Okay. First of all, I did not plan that. They ambushed us for fucks sake. And second, I did protect you didn't I?"

I rolled my eyes with a huff, "It was a fist fight and you guys started to aim guns. I was not going to stay there and be a witness to a blood bath."

"So romantic don't you think?" Ryder sarcastically says with a deep chuckle. I found myself half smiling and having the urge to laugh. An infamous bike gang leader trying to impress me was just plain weird. How I managed to attract this guy was beyond me. Now that I think of it, do I just attract all the weirdos? God damn it.

"Why do you want to know about that dumb drug anyway," he trails off to get beer out of a cooler. He offers me one, though my hands were itching to grab it, I declined. "No thanks. Trying to stay clean."

"Good luck with that," he scoffed before chugging the toxic liquid down. I followed suit as he walked to the edge of the patio, taking a seat.

"My friend almost committed suicide because of that drug," I watched as he paused from taking another drink. He lowers the bottle of the ground, leaning forward as we sat on the patio stairs.

"That's why I don't deal that shit. It's literal shit. Heard it drives you crazy and not in a fun way. What do you intend to do when I do give you information about it?"

"I'm gonna hunt the fucker who did this to my friend," I cracked my knuckles already chanting the name Devin in my head. He's going to pay for betraying her, yet again. But firt, I need to go down to the source in order to find out who really was responsible. Brooke wouldn't tell me any other names so I'm left to do a little research on my own.

"Sounds fun," Ryder hummed. "I might be able to help you with this witch hunt of yours..."

"What could you possibly gain from helping me track down sore losers who haven't grown out of their Queen Bee phases?" I asked.

"Well there's one thing. Alive customers who are not suicidal. Not to mention, dead rivals." Ryder pats my head and beckons me to come follow him back to the house party. Inside, we spot the twins making out with several girls- gross. And on the other corner Blue is straight out mugging some perverted guy. Long on the other hand dry humped with a girl to the beat of the loud song that filled the house.

Am I really going to depend on these people for help?

"Hey! How big are your fingers?" Blue slurred as she forcefully yanks my hands up to get a better look. "Perfect," she slips a random diamond encrusted ring on my ring finger as if it were normal to do so. With a satisfied grin, she skips away again to hunt down her prey. I turned over to Ryder who was holding back his laughter.

"What the hell was that?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Think of her as a cat," he shrugged before gathering up his main team. We all gathered by their motorcycles and devised a plan.

"Welcome to the team Tessa." My eyes widened. Being recruited unknowingly was definitely not a part of my plan.

Oh shit.