22. Progress?

Tessa's POV

Light seeped through the curtains, waking me up from my long nap. I stretched my arms out and felt a blanket tucking me in. Weird. I don't remember not being lazy enough to get a blanket myself. Blinking my eyes open, I see a maroon blanket- the one Nick always leaves in his office in case he decides to take a nap there.

"Good morning sleepy head," Nick tosses a water bottle that lands by my feet. I sit up and drank it all down in seconds. His eyes widened, "Geez. Did you just come back from the desert or something?" I rolled my eyes and slowly got up.

Nausea hit me like a bus sending me to the nearest bathroom. I stumbled on my footing but eventually made it. Locking myself in, I started to hurl last night's dinner in the toilet bowl. Nick pounds on the door, "Tessa? Are you okay?"

I wiped my mouth with the whole toilet paper roll, feeling weak. Spitting out the last of what's in my mouth I went to the sink and washed my face. "Yeah I'm alright! Just fuck off for a second!" I retorted. He sighed and left. Leaving me with more time to compose myself. I looked down on my stomach, wincing from the sick feeling still remaining. Stroking my stomach, I closed my eyes.

"Hey kid. I'm begging you here. Stop making me sick," I whispered. "I am your mother and you will do as I say."

What the fuck was I even doing? I'm not supposed to be like this. Who the hell talks to their unborn child like that anyway? I guess me.

"Did you drink?"

"I thought you were sober again-"

"You said you were done with-"

I slammed the pan on the counter top to make him stop. Nick goes silent, and waits for me to talk. "I'm not drinking, nor am I even friends with alcohol right now. I just felt sick. That's it." Preparing my ingredients, I dropped them in the pan and watch them sizzle.

"Who gives a fuck anyway. I'm leaving soon and you'll never see me again," I sighed and nearly jumped when I turned to see Nick so close to me. His brows were knitted together showing confusion.

"And why's that?" He asked with his arms crossed. Making his muscles flex. God I missed trailing my hand over those.

"Because. I'm leaving. This town, this country. I guess it works for the both of us. You'll get your wish and will never have to see me," I said with no amount of the pain and bitterness I felt inside. Nick held my cheeks with his hands, I felt it. The close space between us gave me an intimate feeling. Right up until he shook his head and pulled away from me. I felt tears prick my eyes.

"I'm gonna go to the company now," he said as he turns away from me. I sighed, "Okay. Bye." Turning back on the stove to tend to the food, I let the tears fall without voicing out the sobs.

"I don't hate you. I hope you know that. I'll never be able to.. hate you."

I nodded, unwilling to face him again. Not when I'm full out crying and probably resembling a tomato. The day went on with me having nothing to do. So instead, I decided to visit my old work place. The cafe that Aisha owned.

The familiar bell rang upon my entry, the warm feel of the whole place enclosing me. I waved hi to my old coworkers and resumed into the main office. Aisha looked up and smiled once I entered. She hugs me and I hug her back.

"Welcome back," she says as she dug around some paper work. I sat on one of the chairs and tapped my foot.

"How have you been?" I asked. She turn with a raised brow, "Isn't it supposed to be me asking you that?" I shrugged, "Why?"

"Well, for starters, you're pregnant. And you don't know what to do. Your ex basically destroyed your apartment, and now you're living with the guy you love. When you're still in bad terms with him," she pointed out. I nodded, "You're forgetting another thing."