Chapter Nine.

Photo is of Maggie, Alex's sister.

Tuesday............................................

Belle skipped school for the first time in her life, she stayed home and cared for her stepmother and for the first time since Jade married her father the pair actually got along. Her father never came home Monday night and Belle slept in their bed next to Jade.

In the morning Belle got up and made breakfast, last night Jade hadn't been able to speak much but Belle had tucked her into the bed and she'd slept deeply.

She was in the kitchen making eggs when Jade shuffled out the hall, her right eye was black and swollen shut, her lip was busted and her right cheekbone was busted, Belle also knew she had bruised ribs.

"You shouldn't be up," Belle said.

"I can't lay in bed all day," Jade said easing into a chair.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'll be okay."

Belle slid the eggs onto a plate and settled it in front of Jade before turning to make herself some. Jade picked up a fork and took a bite, Belle took up the seat next to her with a smile. Even though Jade slept most of the night Belle stayed with her all night and Jade had thanked her every second she was awake.

"I told him I was leaving," Jade said suddenly.

Belle paused in her eating to look at her step mother, then she stood and moved to the fridge retrieving some milk and juice.

"Is that why he did this?" Belle guessed getting cups.

"No, I told him.....that I wanted to take you with me."

Belle paused with the cups in her hand and then slowly sank onto her chair, placing the cups on the table. She almost couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Me?" She asked.

"Yeah, I know we're not close and I've never been the best step mother but I'm not stupid. I know this is no way to raise a young lady, I told him you didn't want to be a stripper and that you deserved a chance to go to school. I wanted to leave and take you with me, I wanted to give you the chance that nobody gave me."

"Jade....I..."

"I should have done something years ago but...I was your stepmother and I never had any plans on being a mother at all. I'm only twenty years older than you, I wasn't sure I'd even know how to be a mother to a girl who just lost her real one."

"You really would do that? For me?" Belle asked.

"I went back Saturday, after our fight. I went back to the beach but you were gone and I lay in bed all night and I was so worried and I think that's when I realized I wanted to leave and I wanted to get you out."

"I'm sorry I made you worry."

"You didn't sleep on the beach did you?" Jade asked.

"No....I....stayed with a friend."

"Anyone I know?" Jade asked, taking a bite of toast.

"No."

"Is it a boyfriend?" Jade teased.

"No," Belle replied with a smile.

"Come on, you can tell me."

"He's.....a teacher at my school."

Jade seemed surprised but didn't comment, didn't tell Belle how wrong it was to have feelings for him. She didn't tell her he was too old for her, or ask if he'd touched her sexually.