Chapter 5

I wake with a blistering headache, my ears are ringing. I open my eyes slowly and see Nickolas watching me with a worried expression, he gently strokes my cheek with his thumb.

"Sir, she's awake," Nickolas announced, looking at someone.

I turn my head and see my dad standing near the window, he turns and glares at me. I shrink against the mattress and glance at Nickolas before looking back at my dad, he crosses his arms over his chest and walks slowly over to me.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He demanded in a hard tone, throwing knives from his icy gaze. "I've told you a thousand times, going on to the roof is dangerous. You almost die this time, if it wasn't for Nickolas me and your mother would be planning your funeral. Is that what you want? Do you want to die or something?"

I knew it was a rhetorical question. "I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"Oh! You're sorry, are you? Not as sorry as I am, I'm sorry you were even born. Me and your mother would've been better off without you," my father roared, stomping out the door.

I look out the window biting my lip, I suck in a deep breath trying to stop my tears. I feel Nickolas grab my hand and rub the back of it in soothing circles, I glance at the clock before looking back out the window. Thirty more minutes til midnight, I hope Nickolas doesn't get in trouble for being out this late.

"Emery, are you okay?" He asked gently, placing his fingers under my chin and brought my face around to look at him.

"He . . . he hates me," I gasped.

"No. He's worried about you, upset. He could never hate you."

"He said he wished I was never born, that him and my mother would be better off without me."

The tears are flowing freely, Nickolas wipes away my tears with his fingertips. He gets up and bends over and kisses my forehead. He sits down again and holds my hand in his, I'll leave him and my mother alone, they won't have to worry about me being a bother any more.

I look at Nickolas and smile slightly, he squeezes my hand. I wish Nickolas didn't care so much about me, I could just walk away from my family and never bother them again. Maybe I still can and see Nickolas at school, I mean I know the woods well enough.

"What ever your thinking, please don't follow through. I refuse to watch you get hurt," he pleaded in a hushed tone, rubbing the side of my head.

"But what if I'm not worthy of your worry, or your kindness?" I demanded.

"You're worthy of everything I have to offer. Don't do anything rash."

I stare at him wondering how he could be so sure, how he knows I'm worth it. I look out the window again wishing I could believe him, wishing my father didn't mean what he said. But the look in his eyes, the sound of his voice, the way he was standing, he meant every word he said. He hates me.

"Just know I'll always be here for you I promise."

"I don't deserve your kindness."

"Of course you do, you've been nothing but nice to me since I got here."

"I've also been nothing but trouble for you as we'll. I got you shot then you got accused of hurting me when I was the idiot who went on the roof, you would've been better off if you never met me," I whispered teary, looking down at my hands.

From the corner of my eye I see him get up, he bends down and presses his lips gently to mine. I place my hand on his shoulder and he braids his fingers in my hairs.

"Do you still believe it would be better off if we never met?" He asked brestless.

I shake my head. "But I'm still not sure if I'm worth it."

"You are."

"Nickolas, we should get you back. I'd hate to get you in trouble, though it would be her fault," my father said calmly, throwing a glare in my direction.

"Okay, I'll be out there in a minute," he answered evenly.

His harsh words brings fresh tears to my eyes, I take a shaky breath and look down at my hands.

"Emery, I'll be back as soon as I can, I promise," he said sencere, kissing me gently.

I nod. "I know you will. But I may be back at school by tomorrow."

"Maybe. But you still lost a lot of blood from earlier, and the doctor doesn't know exactly when you'll be able to leave."

Great, I'll be stuck here for a while. I can see it now my mom will come with who knows who else in the family, just so they can come and say awful things to me. I am getting away from them as fast as I can, that way I won't get hurt. I can live my own life frwe of judgement, where I can make my own choices, and live by my own rules.

"Emery, please I beg you, keep yourself safe. Everybody, including me, loves you, I will not tolerate you being rash and hurting yourself even more."

I look up at him through my tears wishing I could do as he asked, what he was from me. But as long as my father believes me to be ungreatful then I'm not staying where I am not wanted, why should I?

"I'm not going to do anything, I promise," I whispered tearily, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

I let go and look out the window than down at the bed, Nickolas cups my chin in his palm gently lifting my face up to look at him. He bends down and presses his lips briefly to mine than moves his face to the side of my head, our cheeks touching each other's and his hands are on my shoulders.

"Don't lie to me, please. I can't  let you hurt yourself, I care too much for you to let that happen. So don't do anything that could kill you," he said evenly, standing up straight.

I hold my breath unable to say anything, or do something to convense him other wise. I don't know how he keeps figuring out that I plan to leave home; I meet his steady gaze.

"Will you promise me something?"

I nod once and wait.

"Promise to stay at home with your parents."

"Okay I won't."

"No. An actual promise!"

I sigh. "I promise to keep myself safe," I replied calmly. "Happy?"

He smiles. "Almost," he answered amused.

"What more do you want?"

"Just one more question."

"Alright, shoot."

"Will you go out with me?"