Chapter 3

The rest of the day dreaded on, but Zombie and I had made plans, tonight at eight we would go to the library within Wright-Patterson. At eight-thirty, we had a free hour.

"Usually at this hour," Zombie says as we start our way to the library with Jace and Nugget, "I'd be playing cards, maybe even passing around some dirty magazines," He said with a smirk on his face.

"Well you better keep all your dirty fantasies to yourself," I smirk back.

He rolls His eyes playfully, "So, what do you like to read?"

"Crime, mystery, and romance," I say. "Do you like to read?"

"It depends," He says. "Have you read Fifty Shades Of Grey?"

"I said keep your fantasies to yourself," I laughed. "Now stop, you're becoming Flint."

"It's a legitimate question."

"Okay then to answer your question," I say. "I have not."

"Then you should read it,"
Zombie said. "Just to give you an idea of what goes on in here," He said tapping his head.

I shoved him playfully, "I'm joking, I'm joking," He laughs. "I'm not Flint."

"But you were telling the truth about those magazines," I laugh.

He nods, "And I'm proud."

"I swear if I catch my so-brother reading one those, I'd die," I say.

"He's only four," He says.

"When He gets older," I laugh.

Ben looks at me in a questioning way, "Don't give me that look," I say. "He's gonna live to be an adult."

"I never said he wasn't," He said. "We just need to be extra cautious."

"I know," I said nodding as we finally made it to the library.

"Can I get a book?" Jace asked me.

"You can," I smile. "Just stay with Nugget, Zombie, and I for now. Yeah?"

He nods, I've been teaching Jace how to read since he was three and a half, and thankfully, he's finally getting the hang of it.

"I'm gonna be right back," I say. "I'm bringing Chip with me."

"Alright," Zombie smiles. "Take your time."

"Thanks," I say.

I grab Chip and put him on my waist, "What book are you looking for?" He asks me.

"To Kill A Mockingbird," I say. "Zombie told me it was his favorite book back at lunchtime, I thought I'd read it."

He nods, "I want The Pigeon books."

"Then we'll find you The Pigeon books," I laugh.

Finally I found both my book I wanted, and the books that Chip wanted and headed to check out.

"Keep them," The women said. "Nobody really comes here anymore, you'd be best with them."

"Thank you," I smile sincerely.

I walk back over to Zombie, "Aren't you getting any books?"

He shrugs, "I just wanted to spend some time with you, Nugget, and Chip."

"That was very sweet of you," I smile.

"What book did you get?" Zombie asked me as we walked out the library and heading back to our squad.

"Your favorite," I say.

"Fifty Shades of Grey?" He asks.

"Mhm", I nod. "I can't wait to read it!" I hold up to To Kill a Mockingbird.

"Good", Zombie laughs shoving his hands in His pockets. "I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

I nod, "I'm sure I will as well."

We make small talk for a little longer until we arrive back to our squad. There was still half an hour left before we had to shut the lights out, but Jace and Nugget were already tired so we put them to sleep.

"What do you guys want to do to burn the little time we have left?" Zombie asked.

"Well we could play strip poker," Flint smirked coming up to me and grabbing my waist making me flinch a little.

"I wasn't going to hurt you," Flint laughs baking away at my sudden flinch.

"I-I know", I stutter. "Just wasn't expecting it."

There was a silence, "I'm just gonna go shower," I said grabbing a towel and a fresh jumpsuit for pajamas before heading off towards the showers.

"Wait!" I hear someone call.

I turn on my heels, "Yes Zombie?"

"What happened back there?" He asked with a concerning look spread upon his soft face.

"I thought we don't talk about our pasts," I say narrowing my eyebrows before turning around and making my way to the bathroom.

After my shower, there was fifteen minutes before lights out and Chip was still awake, "Can you sing to me?"

"I can indeed", I said. "Just give me a few minutes

I get up to grab my bag which sat next to my bunk, I grabbed my brush out of it and brushed out my long brown hair. By the time I was done styling my hair up, it was lights out.

I sat next to Jace on his bed and began to sing and he joined in, "Hush, little baby, don't say a word-"

"Can you guys shut up?" Dumbo asks clearly annoyed.

"Dumbo," Zombie says sternly.

I pause for a moment but then I proceed only me and not Jace this time, "And if that mockingbird don't sing, mama's gonna buy you a diamond ring."

"But you aren't his Mama", Dumbo said.

I ignore him because I am his mama. But that's only between Jace and I, "Goodnight sweetie," I say and kiss the forehead of my son whom had fallen asleep.

I return to my own bed and plop down own it and pull the sheets up to me, and I hear Zombie's voice from above me, "Goodnight Blue."

"Goodnight Zombie," I reply and fall asleep.