Chapter Twenty: April Fourth

Picture is Emma and Bucky saying goodbye.

Music is "Where or When" by Johnny Desmond.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TWENTY

Bucky, with ease - which makes me uncertain of how many times he's done this, unlocks the front door to 221 Baker Street. Once inside, he peaks around the corners for staff of the attraction. "There's no one here." Turning back to me, he smiles devilishly. "We have the whole place to ourselves."

We head up the stairway, counting each as we go. when we get to the top, we see a blocked off portion of the museum of an apartment. Bucky leads me over to the middle of the room, the wide open space between Doctor Watson's chair and Sherlock's violin stand. The carpet is decorated with burgundy and crimson. The sunlight streams through the windows, catching in Bucky's hair and making it look golden, his blue eyes becoming nearly translucent. I don't think I've ever seen anything more wondrous.

"It's not every day you get a view inside 221B Baker Street," Bucky says, clearly proud of himself. He takes a seat in front of the sofa, on the ground. I sit beside him, pulling down the sleeves of my long coat over my hands. "Are you cold?"

I shrug. "A little." 

Bucky sheds his coat that covers his dress shirt and places it around my shoulders. "There we are. Better?"

I smile up at him. "Much. Thank you." I pull his hand into mine and hold it tightly.

He squeezes back. "How have you been, Doll?"

I shrug. "I'm alright. Been better, been worse. How have you been, my love? I hope the Army has been treating you well."

He nods, staring off into space with the same far-off look I saw when I was on stage. "They're well enough. I mean, I'm not in my same squadron anymore. I was transferred out of the 107th a few months back when we went to France." He turns to me. "You have anythin' to do with that?"

I try to hide a smile. So Billy did keep his word. "Perhaps. I'm sorry about your squadron, though. I never intended for you to be moved from them."

He wraps an arm around my shoulders, letting me lean into him while his hand in mine rubs soothing circles on my palm. "I'm bein' shipped back to them tomorrow afternoon. They're being moved to Azzanno, Italy. Colonel Phillips needs backup."

I sigh, burying my head into his neck. "Billy told me."

"Who the hell is Billy?"

"William Finch. He organizes the bond sales shows Steve and I do. He's the one who sent me here to see you before you were sent to Italy."

"Why wasn't Steve sent here as well? I miss the little punk."

"Steve wanted to come, but Billy said he needed one of us in Paris. Steve said I should come here since you're my finace. He and Rose said to tell you they love and miss you, Buck. We all miss you so much." Tears form in my eyes as I squeeze them shut and try to block out the horrible thoughts that flood my mind.

Bucky's arm moves from around me to pull me into his arms, sitting on his lap like I have so many times before. His chin rests on my head, and I grasp his shirt in my right hand, as if I hold tight enough to never let him leave me again. "I'm coming back, Doll," he whispers. "I'm not leavin' forever. You gotta believe that."

"War is terrifying, James. War takes so much more than it gives. I might never see you again, and that scares the hell out of me."

Not knowing what to say, he simply sighs and rocks me back and forth, our time together slipping away as my tears fall. A few minutes pass, and as I begin to calm myself, I hear him ask, "Have you picked a date yet?"