Chapter Twenty-Seven: Luxembourg City

Picture is of Wiltz, Luxembourg.

Music is "I've Got No Strings & Begin The Beguine" by The Andrews Sisters.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Luxembourg City

Our first stop of six is Luxembourg, a small country nestled between France and Germany. After just one day of invasion, Luxembourg had surrendered to the Germans in early 1940. They've been infested with Nazis ever since. The Nazi's have suppressed their customs, language, literature, and freedom. Actually, they suppress anything that isn't German.

In 1942, they organized a failed resistance strike which led to their government, including Grand Duchess Charlotte, to escape the country. Now they're in London. As soon as the S.S.R. head in and take the HYDRA base down in Luxembourg City, the capital, the combined forces of the U.S. and British armies are going to follow suit and take out the rest of the Nazis. In our own way, we're leading the way to get the rest of Europe back.

It's January 5th, and it's a cold day in Luxembourg. The winter has been harsh, and the people are suffering. Since this part of Europe is heavily infected with Nazis, being extremely close to Der Fuhrer himself, only the Howling Commandos have been sent in. The idea is to be as quiet and stealthy as possible so that no one figures out that we're coming and gets word back to the Red Skull. Peggy, Howard, Rose, Phillips, and the others are still in London for their own safety. For the time being, Steve is in command, with me as his second in command.

We're just outside the capital city, but our goal is outside the boarders. From our intelligence, the Luxembourg HYDRA base is a small one, perfect to start out the Howling Commandos. It's in the middle of the woods, out of sight from the everyday Luxembourgian. Anyone who has happened across it is likely dead.

But we have a plan, and that plan involves trickery and a little feminine persuasion. And since I am the only female in our testosterone-filled group, that plan involves me. Needless to say, Bucky isn't a fan, but it's our only shot.

We're perched just outside the gate that stands between us and the base. Since it's a smaller one, not as many soldiers have been placed outside the guard the perimeters. This makes it easier for me to do my job.

Bucky pulls the hood over my head, making sure my new uniform is hidden underneath my brown cloak. His eyes flicker between me and his fingers. "Are you sure about this?" he whispers softly, careful not to raise his voice. "I can just as easily pull this off. You don't have to go out there."

I offer him a smile and peck his cheek. "I love that you worry, but you're too big for this. They'd instantly recognize you as a man."

He sighs, pulling me close for a moment as the other Commandos prepare their weapons for the siege. "I know, Doll. I just don't wanna lose you. You, Rose, and Steve are all I got in the world."

I pull back, resting a hand against his cheek. "And you won't lose me. Not today, not ever. Let me prove how far I've come."

Bucky nods, and Steve walks over to me. "It's just two guards. One is in a twenty-foot tall watchtower, and the other is on the ground, armed with a typical HYDRA riffle. Do you think you can handle it?"

I nod. "Remind me why you can't just shoot them, again?"

"Because your weapon is much more accurate than theirs, and we can't risk one of the guards pulling the alarm for the base. We'll lose our only advantage: surprise."

I nod, grabbing my new baton that's leaning up against a tree. I click the switch, and it shrinks to a foot long. Hiding it under my cloak, I nod towards the rest of the men. "Wish me luck."