14 Bad Couples

I roll off of Zo. Her blonde hair is fanned out on my pillow. She's a true beauty (even when she isn't wearing makeup, but let's not tell her that). Her plump lips are swollen from all the kissing, and sucking, they did.

"C'mere ma," I coo mockingly. She glares at me and pulls her panties back into place. Deciding to listen to me she climbs into my arms.

My bedroom door opens. Zen stands with a hand on her hip and a cocked eyebrow. When your parents leave your sister and you alone, you're going to invite a girl over. It's a given.

Before I can ask why she so rudely barged into my bedroom she cuts me off. "Mom and Dad are going to be home in literally five minutes. Clean up, put clothes on, and go downstairs."

Zosia dresses quicker than me, probably because my parents already scare her and she doesn't need them extra weird. Mom is just. . . excited when Zo comes around.

"Nico!" Oh great. "Nico! Ni-- oh, Zo!"

"Mom," I groan warningly. She rolls her eyes and turns back to Zo with a loopy smile. This is why I never wanted to bring a girl home until her and I were already married-- that way she can't run.

"Zosia! I'm so glad you're here. I'm making pot roast for dinner, please do stay. Better yet: call your parents and we can meet them."

Zo and I both freeze. I don't know the specifics, but I do know that she hates speaking about them.

"Not to be disrespectful--."

"Oh no, never. You could never disrespect me," my mother interrupts. I shoot her a glare and Zo squirms uncomfortably.

She scratches the back of her neck and laughs nervously. "I don't really have parents." Mother asks her to elaborate. As I'm about to yell at her Zo pays my arm. "I was dropped off at a fire station when I was a few hours old. All I know is that my birth parents were very, very young."

"How young?" Mom probes again.

Zo shrugs uncomfortably. "Thirteen or fourteen. Point is I never got adopted."

"So you're an orphan? Do you live in an orphanage?"

Zo turns a bright red. I can't stand to watch my mother make her feel like some sort of freak because of her past.

"That's enough mother. She's had enough."

"I filed for emancipation when I was fifteen and was granted right before my sixteenth birthday. I saved money from the time I was five, my care giver gave me a generous sum, and anyone I knew tried to chip in and I got a house. I work during the summer too."

Sexy, smart, cooks, hard working, and prudent. I hit the jackpot.

Mom nods and stalks off, her elated mood deflated. Zo glances up at me. "I just ruined everything, didn't I?"

"No, if anything it's better. I'm glad you're comfortable enough to tell me your past."

She kisses my chin before spinning around and sauntering out of my room. Her sexy ass comes to a stop when she sees the feast my parents have prepared.

I thought she was making pot roast not a buffet for the Queen of England.

Zen smirks at us. "Do you mind if I barrow your girlfriend?"

I nod but Zosia has other ideas. "I'm not his girlfriend." Zen's lips dip into a frown. Mine mirror hers, but I agree with Zosia. Technically we aren't dating, as much as she's concerned we're just a couple of friends who have sex and said I love you.

Please note the sarcasm as I say that makes a lot of sense.

"Anyway, I need to talk to Zosia."

The two disappear into Zen's room. I drop onto the couch and wait. Mom calls us to dinner but they haven't emerged from the bedroom. Being the nosey little brother than I am, I try to listen to what they are saying.

"You love him?"

"Of course." That's Zo. I'd know the softness of her voice anywhere.

"But you aren't dating."

"Also correct."

"Don't break my brother's heart."

There's silence. Silence isn't good when it's from Zo. "I'm troubled. I'm not sure I can promise that."

The door flies open and I come crashing onto the floor. Zen stands over me with a horrified expression. I scramble up, a crooked smile on my face. Zo shakes her head in mock disappointment.

"What are you doing!" The shriek my sister expells is anything but attractive. She scoffs and runs off, no doubt to tattle to our mother. No wonder she still lives at home.

Zosia moves to head to dinner but I grab her arm. She turns and gives me a surprised little circles mouth. I grip her arm a little tighter and drag her into the bathroom. It's cramped and hot, but I need to talk to her.

"You admitted to loving me," I say. She shrugs and nods. "We need to talk about what this means."

"We love each other and we fuck--."

"Don't say that," I choke out. "Don't you fucking say that to me." A sudden rush of anger envelopes me. I back her against the wall, those usually emotionless eyes full of surprise. "I don't fuck you. I make love to you. I rock into you, hit all the right places, I put your needs first. If I fucked you you'd feel like my personal slut-- I'd make you regret ever sleeping with me."

"W-Why would you do that to me? Why do you care about my needs?" Tears threaten to fall in those eyes I love so much.

My thumb caresses her soft cheek. "Because I love you. And that means I care."

"I'm nothing but trouble, Nico. If you love me that means you love all of me."

I drop kisses across her neck. Her knees buckle but she remains strong. "Elaborate."

"Let's start at the beginning."