20 Bad Couples

"No." She turns her back to me and continues on her way to her next class: gym. There's absolutely no way that I'm letting her participate in dodge ball.

"You're not going to play."

She spins around to face me, her eyes wild with anger. "And tell them what? I can't just go around saying 'the bad boy knocked me up'!"

"If it means that you're sitting out, yes."

"Go away, Nico." She starts walking again. The halls becomes quieter and quieter as people disappear into their classes. "Get to class and leave me alone."

I sigh as she slips into the girls' locker room. My first slams into a locker. She doesn't understand. She doesn't understand how frustrating she can be. I want to kiss her but also lock her in a room.

That baby is mine as much as it's hers.

➖✖➖

"Please eat something," I plead with her. She pushes all food way and buries her head in her hands.

"I'm too nauseous to eat right now. I just need something to drink." J nearly chucks his water at her. She takes small sips and rests her head on my shoulder.

Conversation flows nicely but it wouldn't take a genius to tell there's an unspoken awkwardness in the air. So we keep talking, avoiding anything triggering, and smile like there's no problem. Nicole tries to join us every now and then but Zo bites her head off every time she breathes in her direction.

The bell rings too soon and Zosia scrambles for her things. Our hands entangle but she rushes off with a hand over her mouth in a second. I run after her, not caring that I'm in the girls bathroom.

The sound of her vomiting makes my stomach churn. A finger taps on my shoulder. Nicole looks at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"Is she okay?"

"She's fine." Zosia's voice is rough. She uses the travel mouthwash she carries in her backpack and washes her hands. "Everything is cool. Thanks for asking."

Nicole starts to leave, but hesitates at the door. "You know, I don't hate you. I'm jealous that you got Nico Reed, but I don't hate you. Maybe we can hang out some day."

She slips out the bathroom as the bell rings. I pull Zo into my arms.

"Let's get out of here, ma."

She wiggled away from me. She runs her hand through her bangs and sighs. "I want to go to science. I need to go. Nico I have to finish high school with straight As."

"Zosia, you're--."

"Please." I nearly break my tough exterior at her soft, broken voice. Her grabs a handful of my t-shirt. "Please, Coco. Just let me finish today without another fight."

I press my lips to hers before letting her walk away.