Chapter Two: Sorrowful Seas

1 Millenium Later
June, 1821

A surge of roaring water rampaged against the seas as the winds whipped around Alena's body.

Her stomach rolled as she scanned her perimeter, her enhanced sight allowing her to scout for any ships that could be a new target.

Stalking her prey with the utmost accuracy and stealth, her ancient memory drifted back to a day when the clouds were dark, the waves were crashing and it felt as though Poseidon and Zeus' themselves were punishing her.

Her long black hair had caught the light of the fading moonlight beneath the surface and she had struggled to control her breathing in the salty water.

The muscles in her tail bunched as she shot through vibrant coral reefs, investigating the creatures and plants that lived leagues away from the sunlight and its gleam.

Forest green seaweed tangled itself around coral of all colors, dark purples mixed with oranges that created a painting in front of Alena's eyes.

Small fish swam past her in groups, their scales flashing along her tail as she swam past them with a vengeance, her laugh as sharp and brutal as ice.

She, however, couldn't tell the difference. Enjoying the moment in which she could watch the creatures in their natural habitats.

You're in your natural habitat now too.

The thought shot through her with the blunt intensity of a sharp knife, cutting her deep to the core and causing her to drift down to a large boulder.

This was her fate and she had fallen to it, she thought miserably, the beauty she possessed merely a ploy, a chest of treasures for the one man who thought he could claim it.

"You shall never know love or be loved in return," she muttered to herself, the burning behind her eyes another reminder that she would never shed another tear as long as she lived.

Black strands of hair floated lazily in front of her face, the pitch darkness contrasting deeply against her pale and fragile skin.

Darting her eyes back and forth, Alena cast away her thoughts when she noticed the faint curl of waves that moved when a ship's hull cut through the surface of the water.

Her heart froze over, an icy chill spreading through her limbs as something deep within her stirred, one that she had experienced before but hadn't been born with.

The light of the full moon dancing through the clouds caught her attention and when she breached the surface she felt its light caress washing over her like a soothing balm.

A sigh escaped her lips and she turned to follow the trail of the boat, its pace sluggish and sporadic as it bobbed like a rag doll in the monstrous symphony of waves.

Moving herself towards the anchor, she pulled herself from the bellowing sea, hooking her fingers through the water slickened chains to hoist herself to a proper sitting position.

When she had situated herself enough to be comfortable and comb her fingers through the strands of her hair, she realized she could hear fervent shouting.

"To the sails, men! The foremast must be brought up and the mainmast as well or we shall be meeting our deaths at the bottom of the sea!"A deep, sea roughened voice barked.

"But Sir, how are we to make it through this storm?" One sailor called out. "These waters are said to be filled with creatures beyond man's wildest dreams, those that would wish to have our meaty flesh in their mouths."

"You listen to too many old wives' tales, Sailor," the man growled. "Watch your place and pray to the gods you and your fellow crew make it through the night to see your families."