Chapter Ten: The Beauties of Amphitrite

The Queen made her way slowly down the steps with a smile upon her lips, her features only enhancing in their beauty as she came closer.

Alena could now see a golden pearled comb that sat safely tucked away amongst the Queen's waves of soft brown hair, the pure white contrasting wonderfully with the darkness of her hair and skin.

Damari appeared to be taken in as well as his hippocampus came to a stop only a few feet away from Amphitrite, his eyes rounded in astonishment at just how beautiful she was.

Her mouth widened in a glorious smile as Triton slid off his steed and swam to her side, her arms enveloping him in a long hug as she squeezed him tight.

"Oh my dear Triton! It's been far too long since I last saw you!"

His chuckle was deep and compassionate as his mother tightened her already firm grip on him. "Mother, its only been a few weeks has it not? You never react this way when Rhode and Benthesicyme are gone and believe me I would know."

Leaning out of her son's arms, Amphitrite hit him smartly on the shoulder. "Your sisters make sure to keep in contact with me, unlike some sons in this family."

Triton scoffed and looked over her shoulder towards the palace. "And you're telling me that Otus and Ephialtes make sure to say hello every few weeks while they're out on their escapades?"

The Queen winked at Triton before laughing and allowing her gaze to fall on Alena and Damari. "And they're always on time too dear, now, who are these lovely guests that you have brought with you?"

Triton turned towards Alena who had slid off her hippocampus, bringing her to his mother with a gentle hand on the small of her back. "This is Alena Cali, Mother, the one known as--"

"The Cursed Siren, yes I know dear, I have been around for quite some time now I'd think I'd know a thing or two about such things."

An unmistakable light pink tinge smeared across Triton's face while his eyes morphed from their fiery red to a smoky pink.

Alena curtsied as best she could while the Queen looked down on her with kindness. "Do not worry, my husband may have thought it wise to turn you in to the head council, but I am not my husband, and you look like you would do well with lodgings and some rest."

Her smile was not the only thing that was surprising as the Queen wrapped her arms around Alena's shoulders and guided her up the steps of the palace, ordering the men to return the hippocampus' to the stalls.

Damari skipped up the steps as he rushed after the two, leaving behind Triton and his men to stare at the Queen for a few seconds with confusion at her orders before hurrying off to complete them in fervor.

"Now I must apologize to you, Alena, if my son has been rude to you as of late. He never has had a way with words, especially when it comes to beautiful women like yourself." The Queen said with a smile.

A series of hacking coughs sounded after the Queen spoke, causing her to turn and see Damari standing hunched over with an arm propped against one of the columns.

"Are you all right, dear?" she asked with concern, her gown rustling as she reached out an arm to rest it carefully on his shoulders. "I guessed the water may be getting deep and a bit stifling for you."

Damari waved her off with an unconvincing smile. "I'm..all right...your Majesty... just winded..is all." he gasped out, holding a hand to his ribs as his breathing started to even out again.

Alena rolled her eyes and followed the Queen past the large crystalline gates that led to the main entrance of the palace, marveling at the numerous gems that adorned the walls and ceilings of the great room.