Chapter Thirteen: Escapees

Warmth.

That was what Alena first registered as she rolled onto a far more comfortable position on her side, the blankets rustling against her scales as she adjusted herself.

The next thing she realized was that she had absolutely no clue as to what had happened the night before. After the memory reboot, it was as if her memory had been wiped to a blank slate.

She knew she should have been concerned, but at the moment all she could think about was how she finally felt peaceful.

Hm..strange thing..peaceful..

It was completely foreign to her, but she basked in the relaxation as she snuggled herself closer to the body pillow that lay at her side.

Burying her face deep in the pillow she took a deep breath, inhaling the earthy and male scent that clung to it, which confused her considering she didn't connect that kind of smell to a pillow.

Pausing in thought, she decided to move away from the pillow, only to be stopped by a masculine groan and the tightening of steel around her waist.

Her eyes flew open at the sound and she froze where she lay, staring at the relaxed face of Damari as he slept, finding that his leg was thrown over her tail as his arm became a death grip around her.

How did I even get here?!

She tried to move again, out from under his arm and towards the edge of the bed, but her attempt proved pointless as her movements caused him to grumble and roll on top of her.

His weight wasn't unpleasant and in fact she had been attacked by far heavier creatures in her time, but the way her heart beat quickened and her breathing became ragged assured her she had to stay as far away from him as possible.

Her arms lay trapped at her sides beneath him as she struggled, but during her struggle she saw just how serene and blissful Damari looked in sleep.

His face was relaxed and all signs of stress or anger that she more commonly observed from him were gone, leaving a childlike expression in its wake.

Had he always looked so rugged when he slept? She didn't fail to notice the whiskers that were barely visible against the surface of his skin, drawing her attention towards his other softened features such as his lips.

Alena couldn't remember ever being transfixed on something as common and ordinary as lips, but for some reason she couldn't keep from staring at his.

She shook her head and tried to get the thought out of her mind, boggled by how stupid she was to let ideas like that get caught in her mind, like a fly in a spider's web.

Thoughts like that could her killed if she wasn't careful enough.

Now, she thought, to try and get this giant, and semi attractive, oaf off of me before I pass out from lack of blood flow to my brain.

"Damari," she whispered, poking him in the side with one finger from her hand that she managed to wiggle out from underneath his bulky form, "get up!"

He mumbled incoherently under his breath before resettling himself, his weight pushing her farther into the mattress.

How am I going to get out! Alena thought to herself, squirming back and forth before sighing again, deciding to think of something more rational instead of moving again and being crushed.

As ideas collided inside her head at high speed, Alena could feel her body relax and a strange throbbing coming from the inside of her wrist.

Turning her head to the side she caught a flash of silver, and upon further inspection she saw that what looked like a long streak of the metal was wrapped around her wrist.