Chapter Seven: Mother Knows Best

Alena felt her stomach drop. Never before had someone welcomed her with such a greeting or dragged her into their arms without consent.

She now kneeled with Kaiya's frail arms wrapped around her as though she would never let go, and Alena could think of no other time where she had felt so needed before in her entire life.

Damari rushed into the room at the sound of his mother's cry, his tall, masculine presence nearly extinguishing the kind and loving air that Kaiya had woven around Alena, creating a rude awakening, but one that she gladly took.

"You've been waiting for me?" Alena asked Kaiya delicately, mystified by the tears that slowly made their way down the woman's face when she took in her form next to her.

"Oh my dear, you could not believe how long I have waited, ever since my Leon came back from that wreck all those years ago, telling me of the mysterious maiden who spared his life."

Alena could feel her cheeks unsuspectedly begin to heat up at the recognition given to her from all those years ago, but Damari didn't appear to be as excited at the revelation produced by his mother.

"When are you to tell her of the prophecy, Mother? That's the reason she's here and that is the only reason."

Alena could only wonder what had triggered such a furious attitude, and she could see that his behavior had caught the attention of Kaiya as well.

Her eyebrows had furrowed together and she pulled the black silk scarf from her head. "Are you all right, Damari?" She whispered with worry, moving closer to her son with the utmost care.

Damari drew away quickly before she could embrace him, instead bringing his attention once again back to Alena.

"Mother, please tell her if she is the one in the prophecy." he sighed, rubbing a tired hand over his brow. "I'll be helping Ray with dinner. Which you are not invited to." he stated stiffly, his barbed answer stinging Alena more than she thought it should.

Kaiya rolled her eyes and folded the silky scarf carefully before placing it on the cot. "You're staying for dinner." she said with a laugh, the few grey hairs in her brown hair disappearing when she stepped away from the glaring light.

"Now about the prophecy," she began, her eyes growing weary and her tone grave, "I have received word from the gods, that is how I knew it was you when I saw you. You are a big part of the chatter up there sweet girl, and I fear it isn't for the best."

"What do you mean?" Alena asked, watching Damari and Ray moving around in the kitchen with bowls held tightly to their chests. "What have they been saying, Kaiya?"

Her eyes dropped to the floor as she walked timidly past Alena, holding onto her arm for support which Alena offered politely. "There is speak of the Underworld, a lunar eclipse is at an approach on the eve of the summer solstice, but it is unlike any of its kind, producing a force so powerful that it will open the gates to the Underworld."

Alena paused in her assistance, the thought of the Underworld's impenetrable gates being open for the taking nearly paralyzing her with the possibilities it could offer.

"What are you saying?" She hurriedly asked, helping Kaiya to her seat in the dining room while simultaneously keeping her eye on Damari who now seemed to wish to stay as far away from her as possible.

"It's Persephone."

The name stopped Alena from sitting down in her seat, her breathing escalated and she could hardly hear the sentence that had come out of Kaiya until the older woman placed her hand on her shoulder gently.