Chapter Six: Unexpected Greetings

The man continued to pierce her figure with his unfaltering gaze, his haunting melody springing forth across the waters.

"The Sailor's Wife, who guards at night, searching the seas that roar.

Sending her light, for her love at first sight, not leaving her post till dawn."

Alena could hardly believe her ears, so many doubts running through her mind as she tried and failed to comprehend what sat before her eyes.

It was as if time hadn't changed a thing about him, his blonde hair caught the suns beams at just the right spot while his electrifying blue eyes narrowed at the sight of her floating above the waves.

She was indecisive of whether or not to approach him, for he stared at her with so much emotion it nearly choked her to continue looking.

But something was off about him, she could feel it deep within her bones and she needed to know what it was.

Without another word she dove, skimming just under the surface as she made her way closer to the shore.

Cautiously, she raised her eyes above the water, inches away from the man's tan hand that seemed to lay in the water as an offering.

Alena noticed a small silver ring on his hand, one that had greek symbols carved into the metal.

As she looked at him closer she could see small differences in this man than there was in the first time she had spared him.

Although if she thought more clearly about it, there shouldn't be any man that she had spared in this lifetime and she had herself to thank for that.

His breath hitched in his lungs, she could see, as he hastily pulled his hand out of the water.

"I didn't know if you'd come back." he said in awe, not able to take his gaze off her shimmering form.

She didn't reply, she only stared at him in suspicion, lowering herself deeper into the water so that it lapped softly against her chin.

"What's your name?" he asked curiously, hoping to get at least a syllable out of her.

"What's yours?" she replied, swimming carefully around the rock that he sat on.

His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed heavily. "Damari Callos."

Gaining some confidence in his tone, he inspected her with mild curiosity. She couldn't quite believe how close he was to her without falling under her beauty.

"Now I asked what your name was," he whispered with a gentle smile, "will you tell me what it is? I promise I won't hurt you in any way possible."

Alena scoffed, moving closer to the rock he sat perched upon. "Now let me tell you sir, that is one promise you will never be able to keep."

Damari raised an eyebrow. "How, if I may ask, would you know that, dear lady?"

"Because I know your kind and what you're capable of doing, you steal and you take regardless of whether it was yours to take in the first place."

"Okay. So you may have a bit of a point." he agreed, "but that's in relation to the majority of my people, not me, isn't it?"

Alena's eyes were composed of slits now. "I don't suppose so, but why have you called me? What is your purpose for me and where did you a song such as the one you were just singing?"

A small chuckle escaped his lips, surprising her to such a degree that she found herself nearly sitting on the rock herself.

"I didn't know my song would call you. In all honesty, I didn't believe it was going to work, all I knew was that you were in the coves when I last saw you and it was likely you were still."