TWO

(edited) --> Don't forget to vote by pressing the little star. Thank you <3

Dylan's POV

The school bell rings and the class is dismissed to go home. I pack my stuff into my backpack, take my ball obviously and start heading towards the lockers as my friends approach me.

"You ready to go dude?" Michael asks me while I'm putting some textbooks into my bag for tomorrow. I nod along, "you don't look your best bro, what's up?" he puts his arm around my shoulders and starts to lead me out into the car park as the others follow.

"I'll be cool man... heard about the party Tasha's throwing?" I change the subject. 

"Yeah I heard and I hope you're coming because we're already pumped up, right boys?" he half shouts the last part because there's a lot of noise everywhere. "I don't know if I should man, I mean... she's my ex." I remind him. 

"Yeah your hot ex" he spits back.

Johnny jumps on my back from behind me and says, "you gotta step your game up bro" whilst the others start tapping my back. "Yeah okay, I'm in man" I say and fist bump him and they all go back to their previous little conversations.

Meanwhile I see a girl at the car park calling me over so I decide to walk up to her, "what's up?" I ask her. 

"What was that all about? I want answers" she spat back at me.

"What was what?" I question back.

"You know what I'm talking about, don't play dumb with me." she has some kind of nerve to talk to me like that.

"Hey, back off queen Elsa, don't talk to me with that cold tone."

She sighs before face palming her forehead, "Why did you do that in Mrs Green's classroom?"

"I just needed someone to hide my back, so thanks for being there, really" I honestly say to the girl that is supposed to be my 'study tutor'.

"Hey Dylan what's wrong? We're waiting for you!" Michael shouts across the parking lot while everyone else is already in the car.

My eyes go back to the girl in front of me, "I gotta go, I'm sorry." she sighed and I then ran towards the car to get a lift home from Michael like always, better than walking on my own right?

ONE WEEK LATER

"Dylan Cooper, Melanie Rivers. Could you please stay back for a minute, I'd like to speak to you." Miss Williams announced while the rest of the class was free to go. We both stood up and walked up to her desk. "So how's studying going? Any improvements?" she asked us both. I swallowed a gulp that was in my throat, I thought this topic was never going to be brought up again.

"Studying? Improvements?" She asked in confusion and I just stayed quiet because nothing clever was coming to my mind.

"Yes studying, I've talked to Mrs. Green about Dylan's grades. I want to see the progress, so where's your Math book Dylan?" Oh god. She wanted evidence to prove that I was actually studying. Not good. Not good. Not only did I get myself into trouble again but I also got this girl who I forgot her name again, involved.

I cleared my throat, "they're at home... the textbooks" I quietly said.

"Not good Dylan, not good. I'm sure Mrs. Green told you about cutting you off the football team." I got so confused then, what the hell is she talking about? Mrs. Green didn't tell me anything. I slowly shook my head whilst still being in shock.

I get that they want me doing good in academics for my own good but don't bring football into this, that's pretty low. And why is she talking about all of this in front of this girl?

"If you don't pass Science and Maths by the end of this year, you won't be going to college because you need—"

"A scholarship. I know. I just don't understand why you wanna cut me off from the football team" I interrupted her.

"We need to see you improving, if not you won't be on the team any more because we'll have to give you study lessons by ourselves, so get your act together if you wanna go to college." She explained but it just made it worse now that I know I won't be getting into college and I won't be playing anymore either. Great, now I feel like shit.

"I want to see you improving Cooper. Those textbooks are going to be in next week, understood?" I nod without even blinking. 

Oh God how am I going to do this? I think to myself.

We walk out of the classroom, I'm still zoned out, still not blinking, can't even walk properly at this point. I'm an embarrassment, how can I be so stupid?

"Hey you okay?" She interrupts me from my thoughts.

"Yeah I'll be fine." I say really coldly as I walk towards my locker.

Of course I'm not okay, my career is at risk, my life is at risk, everything is at risk and it's kinda my fault to be honest because I always prioritised football over everything else and now I can lose everything, my scholarship, which I kinda have and kinda don't at the moment.

"Look, I think you need my help Dylan but you gotta be hundred percent honest with me okay?" she looks me in the eyes and puts her hand on my shoulder.

I think about it for some time and then change my mind, "Okay. Your place, after school." I point my finger at her, then spin on my heels and walk off.

"You're welcome?" I hear her voice which makes me turn back around, "Oh shit, I don't actually know where you live." I state.

She pulls a confused look on her face which I feel like I have to decode, "I'm sorry, but who said anything about studying at my house?" she asks.

"Sorry to say Maria but it's not going to work at my house either."

"I don't think you realise that I don't need your help, but you do need mine in fact." she comebacks and makes a fair point. God I hate when the nerds are right.

"Okay fine, it's a work in progress then, we'll figure something out, how do I contact you?" I ask wanting to get her number.

"Erm, we go to school together, it's not like you have to send pigeons to get in touch with me."

"Okay, fine, I get it we're not at the friendly stage yet."

"So can I count on you one hundred percent?" She asks me.

"Don't worry Maria, I won't waste your precious time." I respond.

She rolls her dark brown eyes before coming back at me, "It's Melanie, asshat."

"Mhm." I just hum, ignoring the rest of her sentence.

With that I walk away, I mean come on I need to do something about it, I can't just stop playing football. Or more like get kicked out. And she's the only person who can help me, she's like the smartest girl in this school, what can be worse?