Chapter 2

*the day before the trial, 7 pm*

I have a master plan to sneak into the trial and protect Rolf. I just need to get to the courtroom the day before.

Quickly I gather up enough supplies to last me a night; various bags of chips, a package of Oreos, water, and a couple of Jacob wristbands for good luck. I call out to my mom, "I'm going to a sleepover at a friends house, I'll see you tomorrow noon!" My mom calls back "ok just be safe" and I'm on my way to the court.

I open the main door into the lobby. Nobody really asks any questions and I walk by unnoticed. Everyone was too busy preparing for tomorrow, with huge news organizations already posted outside with their vans and cameras. The courtroom door was left open, luckily and I slipped in. The only person there was the janitor, and he was busy and had his headphones on, blasting Drake. What a dirty heathen.

I look around for a place to hide. I see a large bookshelf in the corner faced diagonally and there's just enough space for me to slip in and sit down. I climb up and drop my backpack then myself into the corner. I guess this is where I'll stay for the next 15 hours

I eat all of the chips and oreos in a matter of minutes and i fall asleep in a junk food coma.

*14.9 hours later*

I stumble awake and belch the loudest belch. thank god there are still 6 minutes until the trial starts, so nobody heard me. 6 minutes later the judge walks in, along with Drake, his prosecutor, Rolf, and his grade A "lawyer."

The doors close and the noise and commotion from the outside is muffled. The judge walks up to the podium stand and Rolf and drake are seated on opposite sides of the judge.

"Your honor," Drakes lawyer begins. "I stand here today to accuse the defendant, Rolf Jacob Sartorius of theft of intellectual property of my client, Drake." I rolled my eyes, this lawyer was fat and round, with floppy jowels. Typical Drake fan i guess. "The lyrics of his hit solo album, Sweatshirt are directly stolen from Drake's song Best I ever Had. We demand all revenue from sales of Sweatshirt and that the defendant be incarcerated upon a guilty verdict," he finishes. I should have read that wikihow instead of skimming! I don't even know what incarcerated means!

The judge turns to rolfs lawyer. Rolfs lawyer starts "Your honor, I come here to defend against the prosecutor drake and his lawyer. We insist that the lyrics from Mr Sartorius' song had nothing to do with the accused theft of drakes song and wish to have all pending charges erased." Now I'm really confused. Verdict? Prosecutor? What do these even mean?

"Will the prosecution please present it's evidence?" the judge said. "with pleasure, your honor..." the lawyer spat. "The lyrics from Sweatshirt, 'Chilling with a hairtie, no makeup and some sweatpants on' is a direct ripoff from Drake's song Best I Ever had where he said 'sweatpants hair tied, chillin with no makeup on'" he continued. "Defense, what is your rebuttal?" the judge asked, raising an eyebrow. "uhhhh.... Nuh uh. hes a dirty liar" the attorney said.

"Well I'm afraid that if there isn't any evidence from the defending side then this case is pretty much wrapped up.." The judge trails off. Nows my chance! I prepare to climb out from behind the bookshelf while rolfs lawyer rambles on about something else.

I leap out and scream "OBJECTION!" The 5 people in the room freeze and stare at me. "Your honor, it is clear that the defendant had no intent of plagiarism. One lyric in the song bears no meaning to the overall song, especially if the two genres of the songs are completely different. Nobody from the rap market would be persuaded to listen to sweatshirt because the opening lyric is the same as a middle lyric in Best I Ever Had. It is ridiculous and I demand the charges be dropped."

Of course that's what I wouldve said if a guard didnt taze me and drag me out of the court room.

I woke up feeling dazed. As i looked around my surroundings I tried to figure out where I was. Suddenly I noticed black bars in front of me and after a few seconds it came upon me that I was.. In jail?!