[5] Blisters and Bead Curtains

For being my 300th voter. Thankyou! :)

Chapter five!!!

Warning: I had a writers block when I wrote this.. so I have no idea how good it is, but I had to get the next chapter up writers block or not :D 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C H A P T E R   F I V E 

“Shit,” I hissed under my breath, hobbling up the front steps to my house that could have easily resembled the side of an Egyptian pyramid. “Nearly there,” I spluttered, dragging myself on all fours. My entire body was aching, and there was a constant sting stabbing at my heels each time I moved my feet. I looked up at the front door which I swore came to life each time I looked away, paving down more steps so I’d never be able to reach it.

I continued to climb the stairs at a painstakingly show pace, smiling in relief when the wind picked up, only to get smacked in the face with an airborne empty cheeto’s packet. I peeled it from my sweaty face to find it had ‘property of Katie’ scrawled over it in black marker pen.

I scowled, scrunching it in my palm with newly found energy. Anger I’d only just forgotten about re-filled my body. I’d spent three hours running away from the drama, and thought my house would be the place I’d finally be able to forget about it.

“Grace!” Katie gasped, standing up from where she’d been nestled behind mum’s oversized pot plant waiting for me. “I thought you’d turn up here.”  Her fingers and mouth were covered in cheeto crumbs. She must have got hungry while waiting for me. No, she was always hungry. And the fact that she knew I’d go running home just showed me how predictable I was.

I limped past her and pulled the spare key from my schoolbag which I swore was full of bricks.

“You might want to pick up your rubbish,” I said sourly, avoiding making eye contact “Mum doesn’t appreciate people littering on our property, let alone trespassing.”

I pushed open the door and basically fell inside, cool, conditioned air wrapping itself around me. I tried to close the door to block Katie but I was too weak and she simply pushed it open.

“Grace, listen to me, I’m sorry about before,”

I pretended not to notice her, and began making my way up yet another set of stairs. Why does my house have to be so friggin’ big? I thought to myself, wishing we had a lift. I then realised we did have a lift; I simply never used it because I thought it was ridiculous and not to mention lazy.

“Please just leave me alone,” I said, trying my best to sound mad, but all that came from my mouth was a weak whimper.

“I’m not going anywhere,” Katie replied, her voice sounding distant. I looked up to see her sneakily plucking grapes from a bunch on the fruit bowl.

“They’re artificial,” I said, just a she happily popped one into her mouth, only to spit it out again once she realised it was made of nothing but purple coloured rubber. She stuck out her tongue in disgust and tossed the grapes back into the fruit bowl.

“Look, if you don’t come back to school you’re going to miss the Final Friday celebration,” She explained, sitting down beside me on the pearly wooden staircase. She swept an auburn lock of hair behind her ear and began counting the scheduled events for ‘final Friday’ on her fingers, “Fruit wrestling, sack racing, cake relays, and you can’t forget the giant waterfight.”