[25] Liars and Light Bulbs

----------------------------------------------

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - F I V E

It felt incredibly weird to be wandering the streets of Glacier Hills when I’d spent so long in Flipswick. Everything was so shiny and clean; no graffiti on the walls or tufts of grass poking through cracks in the pavement. And everyone was so welcoming friendly, smiling at me like I was already one of their closest friends. I felt like I was back with my family, like I was back home. Speckle Park looked amazing aswell. The whole area was dotted in checked picnic blankets and cricket sets. Remote control boats whizzed around in the water and families smiled and laughed together like they’d never even heard of the word ‘problem’. Everything was perfect. I mean, except for Jeddah who stood out like a dog poop in the snow. I regretted going to meet her immediately.

          “Hey, you!” She said excitedly, running to me in a skimpy sunshine yellow dress. She looked like a half-naked light bulb.

          “Hey Jeddah,” I smiled, as she latched onto my neck.

          “So how are you? Oh my gosh, funny story. You know that disgusting side of town um, Ipswich? Lipsmick? Flicksick?”

          “Flipswick,” I corrected her.

          “Yes! That one, it’s filthy. Apparently, Bella Mcinistry from school accidentally walked over the boundary line and caught an STD from the footpath. Gross right? Anyway, the story.” She grabbed my arm and pulled me to a nearby picnic table. I flopped down on the graffiti-free wooden seat, and scrutinized Jeddah as she pathetically prepared her seat for her pristine backside. She carefully placed a tissue on the bench, before squirting her hands with sanitizer so she could touch the table to lower herself down onto the bench.

          “Are you serious?” I said, as she adjusted herself.

Jeddah just laughed, “Oh come on, I’m not a germophobe or anything. I just didn’t want to get my dress dirty, it’s expensive you know.” I pointed to the hand sanitizer with a raised eyebrow. Honestly, I couldn’t believe how much she’d changed. Just a month ago she would have happily participated in a mass water fight at school where the ground turning to mud was inevitable, and now she wouldn’t even sit on a bench without putting a tissue down first and sanitising her hands. The sad thing was that this was a Glacier Hills bench, probably one of the cleanest benches in the country. I laughed out loud when I imagined her walking through the streets of ‘Flicksick’ crying about catching genital warts or gonorrhoea from the pavement.
          “What’s so funny?” she asked, and I just shook my head.

          “Nothing.”

          “It’s not my hat is it? Because I thought maybe the brim would be too wide and-”

          “Jeddah, darling,” I said, holding out my hand, “shut up and tell me the story.” She failed to notice the sarcasm in ‘darling’ and smiled, taking it as a compliment. It was like she’d gone to snob school over the weekend and turned into some high class ponsy woman. She’d be the mother at the coffee date that everyone hated; “Well, my son Timothy is only five yet he’s already secured a placement at Harvard University studying neuropsychology.”

Jeddah cleared her throat before beginning the story.

          "So,” she began, “the fire at Flipswick.”

I nodded in acknowledgement.

          “I did it.”

          I nodded again, before my brain registered what she’d actually said.