Chapter Two- Riders of Rohan

Chapter 2- Riders of Rohan

(One Day Earlier)

-Legolas-

My heart thumped rapidly against my chest, and every muscle within my body ached. We had been running for nearly three days, and the time had started to take its toll on the three of us. When I had learned that Rayel had been captured along with the Hobbits, my heart grieved at a loss.

Over the near four months since the departure from Rivendell, I found myself loving her companionship. We spent hours talking and laughing with each other, and she was a dear friend of mine, but I couldn't help but feel that she was more of a friend to me. When we had almost kissed in Lothlórien, I knew then that I had feelings for her.

I had never really taken the time to find my soul mate in the past centuries. I never thought that there was an Elleth out there in the Arda for me... but after spending so much time with the young and adventurous Lothrayel, I was beginning to doubt my skepticality. I knew nothing of the heart or how to express my feelings, but I had hoped that she might understand my actions.

Boromir had feelings for her too, this I knew. He had told her that he loved her as a sister, but I wasn't so sure. He had been an honorable man, and his loss was significant to the Fellowship. I feared for Rayel's fragile state, for the Man of Gondor had been a dear friend to her. She had loved Boromir for as a brother, and he looked out for as a guardian.

I missed Rayel...

I missed the way she would toss back her head and laugh, embracing the simple joys in life. I missed her eyes and how they changed colors depending on her mood. I missed the way she would defend her friends, the sparks of anger that ran through her in the heat of battle... but most of all: I missed having her in my arms.

Aragorn ordered us to halt, laying down his ear on the side of a mossy boulder. He listened to the rumbling and groaning of the earth. "Their pace has quickened," he stated, jumping to his feet. They must have caught our scent! Hurry!"

Aragorn missed his sister desperately; I could see it in his eyes. He blamed himself as much as I did for not protecting her. Boromir had died trying to protect her for the Urk swarms; we had been too late. The determination of finding our damsel in distress was what had kept us going for so long. We would find her- we had to!

An Elf can only give their heart once, and I already had given my heart.

I ran up the hill after Aragorn, bow in hand, pausing only to yell down to my friend. "Come on, Gimli!" I called down to the fatigued dwarf.

He stood at the bottom of the hill, panting with exhaustion. "Three days and nights purist. No food and no rest... no sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell," he puffed, trying to match our stride.

We made our way down a steep incline and into the bottom of a gorge, surrounded by dark walls and a rocky path. There were rugged footprints in the earth, foretelling that something significant had come this way not too long ago. "They were here," I said to Aragorn as he came to a halt.

The Dúnedain crouched down amongst the trampled grass and brought up an Elven brooch, belonging to either the Hobbits or Rayel. "Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall."

"Nor the jewels of Queens," I added, stooping down to retrieve a sliver-banded ring. Despite the mud along the stone, the radiant blue gem sparkled in the sunlight. "This is Rayel's; her gift from Galadriel." I studied both belongings for a moment, "They may yet be alive!"

"Less than a day ahead of us," Aragorn smiled. "Hurry!"

Together we sprinted down the trail, forgetting about the dwarf who tumbled headfirst down the hill and onto his back. "Come, Gimli!" I yelled to him, turning to make sure he was still behind me. "We're gaining on them!"