Chapter 9- Look to the East

The screams and shouts ran down the walls of Helm's Deep as we followed the guards deeper and deeper into Helm's Deep. Time was of the essence and I knew we had none too loose. "Legolas!" I shouted. "We must get to the Gate! They cannot hold it for long! If the Uruks get through the Gate, all is lost!"

Legolas heaved a sigh and nodded. "You are right. We must not let the City fall."

I smiled gratefully. "Thank you. Besides, if I knew my brother, that is where he will be. His loyalty is with this Théoden and he would do anything to protect the World of Men."

"Yes, that is where Aragorn will go."

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Gimli smirked, raising his ax.

So we charged down to the Gate, where already the Uruks had battered down part of the Gate. It splintered open and instantly archers took the Postern's gaps, firing arrows into the enemy lines. Several of the Rohiriam archers fell to the Horde's crossbows: igniting my anger.  "We can't hold much longer!" Háma shouted.

I spotted Théoden along the wall, clutching his bleeding chest. Other than the blood under his arm, the King looked unharmed. The King and his negligence was costing us many lives on our side and I wished that it would haunt him for the rest of his life.

"Hold them!" someone shouted, bracing the gate.

"Aragorn!" I called out frantically, trying to find my brother. I saw him cutting down the Uruks that tried to sneak into the broken Gate. His hair was dark and slick with sweat and he had a small gash across his shoulder.

"There he is!" I called to Legolas and Gimli.

We raced to his aid, Legolas and I firing arrows through the splintered Gate; trying frantically to buy time. "I'm glad you're still alive!" I smiled at my brother, deflecting a spear that was meant for my abdomen.   

"The feeling is mutual, dear sister," he huffed.

"Aragorn!" Théoden shouted. "We need time!"

Time for what? I wanted to say. We're not going to make it out of this alive anyway.

"How long do you need?" Aragorn demanded.

"As long as you can give me!" the King snapped.

"Right," my brother demanded. "Gimli!" he grabbed the Dwarf's shoulder and pulled him into the shadows. I lost sight of them behind the wall.

I could only pray that the Valar would protect them.

"Timbers!" ordered Théoden as a number of spearmen charged the Gate.

"Rayel!" Legolas interjected, grabbing hold of my shoulder. "Hurry! To the walls! We can help your brother!"

Together, we barreled up the nearest stairwell and sprinted up to the parapets. We were the only Elven archers on the battlements, which meant we were the only aid that Gimli and Aragorn could rely upon. "Where are they?" I gasped, peeking over the ramparts.

"Along the walls," Legolas replied, knocking an arrow. "When they give the word, fire."

"Yes, sir," I replied, taking my bow and notching an arrow. My eyes flitted back and forth nervously: at the rate, the Uruks on the bridge were coming, we would soon be overtaken.

Below us along the bridge, the Uruk-Hai were ramming the Gate, splintering open a little more each minute. The rain had finally let up, and judging by the placement of the moon, it was early morning. How long had the battle raged? How long had we been fighting?