Epilogue

Epilogue

After the trees had killed off the remaining Uruk-hai, the Riders of Rohan dispersed into the City to assist in gathering the dead. The morning hours were spent piling the corpses and assessing the overall damage. Aragorn followed another party into the Hornburg to locate a none the less, worried Éowyn.

"I'm relieved that you are safe," Legolas whispered, pulling me away from the field. "When I lost sight of you when the wall exploded-,"

I trembled, pressing my finger to his lips. "I am safe, Legolas."

He looked over my rugged appearance and smoothed my auburn hair from my eyes. "What am I going to do with you, amin lye?" his finger traced over a small gash across my cheek.

"I love you," I stated blasé.

His narrow lips gave into a smile. "I love you too, Lothrayel."

We walked hand-in-hand back through the Gate and toward the Deepening Wall- or what was left of it. A night of heavy battle and combat had cost us many lives at this exact spot. We spotted Gimli atop a mound of Uruk bodies, smoking his pipe wearily.

"Final count," the Prince of Mirkwood announced, running his hand along the neck of his bow. "Forty-Two."

"Forty-Two?" Gimli awed. "Oh, that's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish Princeling. I myself am sitting pretty on forty-three." He blew out a plume of smoke.

Legolas notched an arrow and fired it into the corpse Gimli was lounging atop. "Forty-three."

"He was already dead," the dwarf snarled.

"He was twitching."

"He was twitching because he's got my ax embedded in his nervous system!" the Dwarf yelled.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

It was noon-day by the time Gandalf, Aragorn, Éomer, Gimli, Théoden  Legolas, and I set out from Helm's Deep. The rest of the Riders, soldiers, and civilians would follow the next day after they had recovered their strength. I rode behind my brother, inhaling the musty, pipe-tobacco sent of his cloak.

"I'm so glad you're safe," I told him, echoing Legolas' earlier words.

"Of course I'm safe," he chuckled. "I have to take care of you, dear sister.'

I laughed, "Thank you, brother, for I do not know what I would do without you."

"You'd manage," he replied.

"Saruman's wrath will be terrible and his retribution swift," Gandalf declared blasé.

Our attention was turned away from Helm's Deep and the fields of Rohan to Mordor. Already a blanket of darkness had clouded Mount Doom and thunder rumbled across the valley. Poor Frodo and Sam: this is what they are walking into.

"The battle for Helm's Deep is over," Mithrandir stated.  "The battle for Middle Earth is about to begin." He was quiet for a moment as we wrapped our minds around a soul battle for the Arda. "All our fates," continued the White Wizard. "Now lie with two young Hobbits... Somewhere in the wilderness."

________________________________________________________________

Hey you guys!

That's the end of Book 2! :) I cannot believe how fast this went by! I love your feedback so much! Thank you all for reading, voting, and commenting! It means so much! <3

So what do you think of Rayel's relationship with Legolas? How about her loyalty to her brother? I never meant for Rayel to have a feud with King Théoden, but it just kind of worked out that way!

Oh, no! How do you think Brendawyn will take Haldir's death?

To be continued in the Next Book "The Crownless Again Shall Be King".

Love you guys!

XOXO

Alexis