Chapter 7- 10,000 Reasons to Abandon Hope

-Rayel-

The moment Gimli told us that my brother was alive, I ran. I didn't care if I wasn't wearing shoes, or that my hair was a mess- I wanted to see Aragorn. I darted out of my room and down the corridor, only to realize that I had no idea where I was. Gimli was at my side in an instant.

"Follow me, lass." Gimli urged, taking my hand in his.

"Hurry!" I pleaded.

We hurried out the gate of the Hall and into the courtyard, only to be met by a crowd of refugees.  "He's alive!" a woman exclaimed.

"Aragorn!" I called, taking the Evenstar from my neck; He'd want it back.

"Where is he? Where is he?" Gimli demanded, taking the lead and pushing through the people to clear a path. "Get out of my way! I'm going to kill him!"

I stood shocked at the front of the line. There in front of me, unbridling Brego like he'd just gone for a joy-ride was my brother. "Aragorn!" I cried, rushing at him and throwing my arms around his neck. "Brother! I was so worried!"

He held me close, brushing his fingers through my hair. "Yes, sister. I'm alright."

I pulled away from him, my face wet with tears. "Don't ever do that again!"

He chuckled, his dark hair falling into his eyes. "Yes, Rayel."

"You are the luckiest, the canniest," Gimli rambled. "And the most reckless man I ever knew!" he pulled my brother into a hug and thumped him on the back. "Bless you, laddie!"

Aragorn pulled away, a look of urgency creeping into his eyes. "Gimli, where is the King?"

The Dwarf nodded to the Hall, and in a matter of seconds, my brother was off. He was determined, to find the King. Something had happened.

"You've only just gotten back!" I protested, chasing after him as he headed toward the Hall. "Why do you need to see Théoden so quickly?"

"Rayel, I do not have time to repeat myself a second time. I must see Théoden!" he briskly pushed through the crowd, only to stop in front of Legolas. They stared at each other for a moment, before finally, Legolas smirked. "You're late," he said flatly in Quenya. The Elf took in my brother's ragged appearance and commented: "You look terrible."

Aragorn chuckled, before clapping the Elf on the shoulder. "I trust Rayl behaved?"

"I was fine!" I protested, smacking him in the chest.

Aragorn groaned, rubbing the spot where I had hit him. "I wasn't asking you now, was I?"

Legolas frowned. "She missed you... She was severely wounded and we had to find her arm," he gestured to my arm, which now hung in a sling.

"But I'm fine now, brother," I smiled, bringing my fingers up to my neck and removing Arwen's necklace. "Here," I said, placing the chain and pendant into his hand. "This belongs to you."

"Thank you," he whispered, studying the necklace before slipping it back over his head. "Hurry, we must see Théoden."

"I'm coming with you!" I announced, tagging along behind him.

Aragorn threw open the double doors and stood before the gawking King. "You're alive!" Théoden gaped. "How can this be?" he bolted up from his throne and came toward us with wide eyes. "How are you still drawing breath? A fall like that could kill any man."

"He is not any man," I muttered under my breath.

"The Elder are not ready for me to die yet," Aragorn stated, modestly. "Great King, there is a great host of Uruk-Hai coming this way as we speak!"