Forty-Nine: The Ceremony

The Ceremony

When I arrived back home, I saw many wolves milling around. Carrying things out the house and shouting instructions at one another.

I walked up to my room, trying not to think about what was to come. I was nervous, I know I was the one who wanted to meet his parents for the longest time but now things are different. I've sealed the deal. I'm going to be named Luna.

Not only that but I've put their son through so much. I've been more of a problem rather than a solution. Most times I did what I thought was best, thinking with my independent mind not my mated mind.

My name being called snapped me out of my funk, "Eli." I turned to see Abel.

Hi flashed a brief smile, "Hi, Abel."

He returned it before he looked me over once more, "The ceremony's in an hour, shouldn't you be dressed?"

My eyes shot open, "What!? I thought it was tomorrow!"

He furrowed his thick brows, "No, Alex has everyone in the main hall already. I'm here to pick you up."

I thought he was joking – why on earth would he not mention that he was in fact not kidding and genuinely rescheduling it to today. I could've missed it!

Oh goddess, imagine the horror if I had missed it.

"Shit."

How long was I at Nate's? It hadn't even felt like an hour so how in the world did the majority of the afternoon slip away like that. I quickly dash up the stairs not wanting to keep Abel waiting too long.

I hopped into the shower needing to freshen up again. This was an important occasion and if two showers were needed to feel as ready and fresh then so be it.

I tried to speed up though, not wanting to keep anyone waiting nor raise any suspicions. Especially not with my future in-laws.

I ran out and Elisha was smirking at me, "Sit. I'm here to help."

I had to embrace her in a tight hug before I could let her begin. I hadn't seen her in a few days but it felt like far more. Not to mention I only got to see her briefly when I had and nor was it a momentous occasion.

Seeing her here today was far greater, it brought a heaviness to my eyes that I willed away not wanting to cry. I greeted both her and my little growing niece.

Elisha worked her magic on my hair and make-up, I know she was fed up with me by the time she was done. I had been telling her to hurry from the moment she grabbed the eyebrow pencil.

Once she was done fixing me up, I slipped on my dress and shoes.

I was in a shimmery silver full length dress, silver heels and matching silver diamond rings, bracelet and earrings. My hair slicked back to one side where it hung in tight smooth curls.

As I admired myself in the mirror I couldn't help but wonder if my parents would be here too. I wished they would, I know I was being sworn into The Howlers. However, on the other hand I was being ceremonially bound to my mate, it doesn't happen with all wolves – only those of rank.

Meaning this is a grand occasion for us, I would love nothing more than to have my parents here to see this occasion through.

I thanked my sister as we made our way down the stairs.

Abel smiled once he saw me, "Alex says to tell you, you look beautiful." I laughed.

"He literally could've done it himself." I shake my head.