15

Fred stopped in his tracks when he saw Calla sitting alone in the library. She was seated in the spot he always sat in when he wanted to be alone and not found. It also tricked people into thinking he studied when Merlin knows he didn't.

Without time to doubt himself, Fred put a little pep into his step and walked right over to the circular table, taking a seat across from the quiet Ravenclaw.

The girl looked up from her book (The Challenge of Things, an intriguing book about philosophy) and raised an eyebrow. Fred smiled nervously, turning around and craning his neck to peak around bookshelves. Madam Pince sat at a large desk, peering over her glasses as she did paperwork. Knowing that he was a terrible whisperer when he was nervous, Fred pulled parchment paper out of his bag.

hi.

He slid the paper over to Calla and she smiled, shaking her head as she stared at the sheet.

hello fred.

Fred's ears burned and he prayed that it wasn't too noticeable. He placed a charm on the paper so that instead of using all the space and wasting it, the previous writing disappeared when the quill touched the parchment. He scrawled some more writing down and the two passed the paper back and forth.

merry christmas

christmas was two days ago

yeah but i didn't say it on christmas because i'm a wimp and then yesterday i also a wimp.

and today you aren't?

would you believe me if i said i made an unbreakable vow so if i was a wimp today then my life would end, ultimately making me not a wimp?

no

oh. well then i forced myself to come talk to you and i think it's going well because i'm not actually using my voice

you're funny

really?

yes

i think you misspelled handsome ;-)

1) that smiley is hideous
2) i know how to spell
3) you're more cute than handsome but whatever floats your boat

whaaaat. that winky face is life. and how am i cute but not handsome?!

because

gold star for your perfect explanation and ten points to ravenclaw for your amazing details

Calla laughed silently. It looked funny, the way her nose scrunched up and her mouth was slightly open but no noise came out. Fred thought she was pretty though. Her smile made him feel all warm and mushy inside.

i think it's cute you have a crush on me

who said i had a crush on you atkins

well i was going to list everything else i found cute about you but since you don't have a crush on me i guess it doesn't matter

tell me.

no

fuel my ego

no

raise my esteem

what's up with men always demanding things

i'm sorry, please fuel my ego and raise my esteem by telling me everything you find cute about me.

well since you asked. i like your freckles, they're like constellations on your body. it's cute when you stare at me when you think i'm not looking. and it's cute when you throw your head back when you laugh. i think you're cute when you roll your eyes. the fact you're so smart without even studying is cute, a little more than cute actually. it's strongly appealing.

is that it

hand cramp

calla

fred

you have a crush on me too

maybe

i won't tell

oh thank merlin

you're cute