20

Fred took a deep breath and walked over to Calla Atkins during their break. He rehearsed everything he wanted to say a hundred times in front of a mirror and even practiced with George. He held a box of peppermint toads tightly, hoping he wouldn't be making a fool of himself.

As soon as Fred stepped near Calla, her face lit up and she gathered her things to meet him.

"Hey! I've been looking for you!" She grinned.

This surprised Fred. "Well here I am. Why were you looking for me?"

"I wanted to ask you something." She smiled. The redhead raised an eyebrow and waited patiently. Calla pulled her wand out of her extremely messy bun, muttering, "avis."

A flock of birds flew from the tip of her wand and with her wand, Calla seemed to write out something. Fred craned his neck to see what she was doing, and nearly choked when the birds aligned to spell out:

FRED WEASLEY,
BE MY VALENTINE?

He looked at Calla, amazed and shocked. "How long did it take you to do that?"

Calla shrugged. "Practiced for about a month."

Fred shook his head in disbelief. "Merlin, way to make my valentine proposal seem lame." He laughed, handing her the chocolates that had, "Valentine?" written on the box.

The Ravenclaw laughed, nodding in response. "It's the thought that counts. I love peppermint toads a lot more than birds."