Chapter 4

"Do you want me now?"

The words wouldn't get out of Freddie's head. It's like they were locked in a cage he couldn't open.

"Do you want me now?"

He couldn't answer her, at least not yet. He felt a connection with Carly, but something else buried inside him was tugging at him saying no. He was so confused. The two had gone downstairs afterwords and Carly told him to visit his mom, for her. He was never able to refuse her, just like when they were in school, and did as she wished reluctantly. He hoped seeing her on Saturday would help get his feelings straight. He turned off his light and fell asleep.

~

The next day, he picked up Carly and they waved goodbye to Spencer. She was super impressed with his house.

"Wow Freddie, you picked a great home. The decor is amazing."

"Thanks. It seemed too good to be true when I bought it."

"So, shall we begin?"

"Let's do it."

She opened her laptop and said, "In 5, 4, 3, 2..."

"Wait!"

"You interrupted the countdown, silly."

"My bad. You say 'In 5, 4, 3, 2'?"

"I guess so. You would always say that. It prepares me before I start. I think of you whenever I do."

They stared at one another, fixated on their pupils. Time stopped for a moment. It was nerve racking to tell Freddie that confession. The room was so quiet, you could hear their breathing. Freddie's breath was steady, and Carly's was tranquil. She snapped out of it before he did.

"We can try a second time."

"Huh? Yeah, totally."

"In 5, 4, 3, 2...hey everyone! Carly here with my special guest and previous tech producer, Freddie Benson!"

"Hi!"

"You guys have been wanting a reunion, so here you go! In order to prepare for such an occasion, we're going to play truth or dare. You ready?"

"I was born ready."

"Cocky, much? Let's see how you do. Truth...or dare?"

~

They played for about 20 minutes and ended the video.

"Good job," she'd said when they were done.

"Same to you."

"Do you really still have those Galaxy Wars pjs?"

"Sure do. Galaxy Wars will never die."

She chuckled. He loved her happy face.

They spent the rest of the day chilling and watching movies on the couch. It was currently nighttime, and they made a bag of popcorn for the next film. Carly enjoyed seeing Freddie today. It was the most fun she'd had in months. She also couldn't stop thinking about him. She craved for him to be with her.

"Freddie?"

"Yes?"

"Do you want to, maybe, come by tomorrow? We can hang out alone again and have a Galaxy Wars marathon."

He became confused (for the millionth time) with her. Carly didn't especially like Galaxy Wars. In fact, he clearly remembered her saying it was 'extremely boring' and 'nerdy', but he wanted to see her again, so of course he accepted. Then, unexpectedly, she laid her head on his shoulder and curled up next to him. His eyes widened. Ten minutes later, he looked down, and noticed her eyes were closed. He unconsciously laid his head down as well, thinking about all that happened today. He'd hoped this day would allow their relationship to make sense, but it only made things harder. He closed his eyes and drifted off with the girl with the brown hair by his side.