Day of the Tournament

"KLAUS!" Caroline screamed as she was shook awake by four figures. Esther, Rebekah, Elijah and... Klaus. Caroline panted taking in her surroundings and realised she wasn't dreaming anymore. This experience was real; her best friend had sent her back in time.

"Are you alright Caroline?" Klaus asked looking worried. Caroline tried to hide her fear by smiling but it didn't work; Klaus backed away a bit and his heat sank when he saw Caroline relax slightly.

"At first you were just groaning in your sleep so we left you and we went about our daily lives..." Esther began.

"But then we heard you screaming from outside and grew worried!" Elijah finished.

"What happened?" Rebekah asked Caroline rubbing her shoulder comfortingly.

"I don't really know... There was a tree and a voice but... no I think it was a... a..." Caroline had trouble remembering her dream. The more she thought about it the more it faded away from her.

"Here, drink this" Esther handed Caroline a cup of water which she sipped slowly. "Were you scared?"

Caroline glanced at Klaus who looked so sad, but smiled reassuringly at her anyway.

"We'll I was a little scared just before I woke up bit apart from that it wasn't so bad." Caroline handed the now empty cup back to Esther and stood.

Klaus looked sad and went outside with Elijah so Caroline could change out of her sleeping gown and put on her new gown. Rebekah helped Caroline lace up the back as Esther went to make Caroline some porridge for her breakfast.

"So what really happened?" Rebekah whispered to Caroline starting to tie the bow on her dress.

"It's very strange," Caroline began turning to face Rebekah who looked curious. "At first it was dark then there was a voice and it said something..." Caroline couldn't remember that part. "Then there was a light so I ran for it and came to a large tree. I think a fairy told me to fall in love or something" Rebekahs face lit up but waited for Caroline to finish. "That's when I saw a wolf and it was going to hurt Niklaus, I think... but then Klaus had blood allover him so I think he killed it..." when Caroline mentioned the wolf Rebekahs face dropped.

"A wolf? That's... never mind the fairy might have been a love fairy telling you who might win the tournament. You saw Nik right!" Rebekah became excited and Caroline blushed.

"It might not be him, it could be one of your other brothers" Caroline suggested but Rebekah saw through her lies!

"You so want Nik to win!" Rebekah jumped as Esther handed Caroline a bowl of porridge. Caroline blushed.

"Now, now, Bekah don't tease your future sister in law" Esther winked at Caroline knowingly as Caroline went to sit down at the table to eat.

--------- ---------

The trials were going to be held at midday so Caroline went and made herself useful until then.
She went to the river where she washed the pots with Esther and looked across to see the man she was looking for: Klaus.

She hopped along the stepping stones that were in the river and made it across with ease. She turned to look at the stepping stones proud of herself. As she turned she was met with a chest. She looked up the see Klaus's smiling face. His eyes bore into hers.

"You did that with no effort at all, you done that before love?" He quizzed chuckling. Caroline smiled and walked further up the bank so she was eye level with him.

"Nope, not at all, but it felt so familiar" Caroline answered skipping up to the tree that was at the top of the bank. She sat underneath it as Klaus came walking up the bank and smiled at her.

Caroline gasped as she remembered this tree from her dream. Her head hurt and she opened her eyes to find she was being cradled by Klaus. Her head was in his lap and he was staring into her eyes with worry painted all over his face. His left hand was cradling her head as his right held her left hand.

"You alright love?" He paused scanning her face, "did you remember something else?"

"No I had a dream and this tree was in it but if it was a dream shouldn't it not hurt to remember it?" Caroline was confused then felt something next to her leg. She sat up and picked up the arrow from the market. The arrow she saw in her dream...

"Here, I think this is yours," Caroline handed the arrow to Klaus and he looked at it puzzled.

"How did one of my arrows end up on this side of the river"

Caroline shrugged and put it in his hand. When they touched a pinky - purple light radiated off the arrow and made Klaus and Carolines hands tingle. Sparkles were in both their eyes as they stared at one another in amazement.

When the arrow stopped glowing and there were no more sparkles Caroline was the first to break the silence.

"Use the arrow in the tournament today Nik, strike fairly and truly!" Caroline whispered and unexpectedly kissed him on the cheek and ran back to the house blushing profusely.

When Caroline shut the door to the hut she was met with an intense atmosphere. Mikael and Esther were glaring at each other. Mikael noticed her presence and stepped away from his wife but still had a face if thunder and crossed his arms.

"Is there something you needed Caroline?" Esther asked sweetly.

Caroline was flustered and quickly answered. "Yes I was looking for Rebekah, do you know where she is?" Mikael relaxed his arms by his side and walked out of the hut fuming. Esther looked apologetically at Caroline.

"Forgive him Caroline, we were having a momentary disagreement, but I'm sure he will see things my way soon..." Esther moved closer to Caroline and smiled. "I think she's out side with Kol where he is practicing his archery skills."

"Okay, thank you Esther."

"I'll tell Elijah and Klaus to prepare also. It's nearly midday..." Caroline nodded and went outside to find Rebekah.

She didn't have to walk far to find Kol shooting arrows at a tree and Rebekah laughing every time he missed it. Her feet crunched brown fallen leaves as she approached the young Mikaelsons. Kol saw her first and immediately dropped his bow sprinting up to Caroline with Rebekah not too far behind.

"My Lady," Kol took Carolines hand and kissed it lightly only for his sister to shove him making him fall on his back side. "Bekah!"He exclaimed slowly standing rubbing his behind.

"Shut up Kol, is it time?" Rebekah asked impatiently.

"It's nearly midday so yes. I came to discuss your prise idea" Caroline winked at Rebekah who held in a giggle and turned to her brother.

"Excuse us brother, Caroline and I must speak of a very important matter"

Rebekah and Caroline linked arms and skipped away from Kol laughing and giggling.

"What do you think they are tittering at brother?" Elijah asked his younger brother ruffling up his hair as he came from the treeline.

"My victory prize, of course" the youngest Mikaelson retorted fixing his hair.

"Please brother, do not embarrass yourself," Elijah chuckled, "you shall not even come second in this competition."

The brothers burned holes through each other glaring intently. They only broke eye contact when a bell sounded.
This was it. The beginning of the trials for Caroline's heart!