A Kiss For The Victor

Klaus was dazed.

His cheek tingled from where Caroline had kissed it and he felt light as a feather. As he gently stroked his cheek he got to his feet and slowly made his way back towards home.

He got to the river bank and smiled at the memory of Caroline skipping gracefully across them. A feeling washed over him as he crossed the river. It made him feel good and warm.

Klaus reached the other side of the river with ease and stopped at the top of the banking to admire the view of the trees, small houses and the few people passing.

Then he saw someone in the distance he had totally forgotten about ever since Carolines arrival.

Brown hair, brown eyes, bright smile. All these things would have made the heart inside Klaus' chest skip a beat. But not today, or ever again. His heart belonged to another now. He quickly hid behind a tree hoping she hadn't spotted him. Only she had and was making her way towards him.

A strange tingle went down Klaus' back as the arrow that he was still holding glowed slightly and began to heat up. Klaus suddenly felt the need to move left and ran to a differwnt tree. He peaked at the woman who lookes confused so walked away with an unsatisfied look on her face.

Klaus quickly made it back to the house and prepared for what was to come thinking how he was glad Caroline came into his life. His eyes were shut before but now he knew exactly what he wanted. That was not the brunette who tried to sneak up on him. As he looked into the flames of the fire in his home he saw Caroline face and heard her laughter. Yes she would make him very happy.

Klaus was knocked out of his trance when he heard the bell signaling it was time. Klaus exited the hut smiling and had a spring in his step as he made his way to the lake where the trials would be held.

The lake was where the village got all its water and fish from and where they played when it was winter. The area where the trials would be held was beautiful with the mountains in the background; the sun just above them. It will look amazing when it sets.

His mother and father stood in front of the lake with Caroline and Rebekah to the left. They were seated on a large log. Villagers gathered to one side as Klaus' brothers joined him.

"Brother" Elijah greeted his younger brother with a nod. Kol also nodded in greeting.

"Ready to lose brothers?" Klaus confidently asked his older and younger brother.

"Yes 'Lijah, ready to lose?" Kol grinned.

"Boys, come forth" Esther beckoned, the three young men approached their parents.

"There will be four trials today boys and Caroline will choose the victor who will be announced tomorrow!" Mikael declared.

"The first trial, chosen by the fair Caroline, is Melee Combat-" Esther began.

Elijah smiled knowing he was quite good at sword fighting and was better than his youngest brother but was unsure of Klaus.
Kol looked worried and stared at both his brothers in disbelief.
Klaus had his famous poker face of keeping his cards close to his chest.

"However, you will be battling me, with wooden weapons" Mikael finished. Elijah face fell from being confident to horror. Kol looked worse than before and Klaus finally showed slight worry.

"The first to battle will be chosen by the lady herself, Caroline!" Esther gestured to Caroline who stood up and smiled widely.

"The eldest shall go first and the youngest last!" Caroline declared receiving a confirming nod and grunt from Mikael.