Chapter Thirteen

"If you drink that much coffee you might as well inject it straight into your veins."

I looked up from my pile of papers, "Stephen!" I said smiling, "You guys are back early." I looked behind him but I couldn't spot dad. Stephen dragged a seat from the neighbouring table and sat down, raising his legs to rest on my desk which I didn't approve off.

I didn't want his dirty feet there, "Uh yeah, jet lag though."

"How was it?"

"Paris, well it was alright the weather wa-,"

"I meant the meeting." Like I would care what the city looked like, I'm sure it was beautiful, "Oh right, of course. Boring long. The contract fell through so dad's mad."

Damn. I bet he was, "Where is dad?"

"On his way, I think he's going to sleep in for a bit more. He barely slept he wanted this contract but we lost it to someone else."

That's a shame. Dad really liked investing in the aluminium business, not many did and took the risk but he liked it, even if it caused a loss. "But they said the tender is being considered, so if we can pitch a better business plan, we might get it back."

"Is he going to?"

Stephen shrugged, "I doubt it, it means investing more time and resources into something that we might not get. We'll see." damn I wish I was at that conference now. Dad had a great pitch, so if someone else got it. I wonder what pitch the other company had.

I looked back at y boring papers and pushed Stephens' gross feet off my desk, "I don't want mud stains."

"These shoes are very clean."

"I don't trust you" I said as I flipped through the next page "What is that?" Stephen leaned in, "Job hunting, still."

I nodded. 

"You're the only one who prints out company history as well." He grabbed my glass off coffee leaning back in his chair taking a sip.

"That's my coffee, get your own."

"Fuck this is strong and bitter, do you even have sugar?" 

"There is some, and I like to know where I'm going to work." I said. Knowing company history was a good thing. Stephen rolled his eyes leaping up from the chair, "Well I better get back to work." He was about to leave when I called after him.

"Where's Tristan?"

"Work." He said before he disappeared around the corner. Exactly, why wasn't he here? Shrugging it off I went back to my paperwork when my phone buzzed, and I looked at it to see who would be texting me around lunch time.

Preston

I unlocked the message, he must also be back from his trip, Do you want to do dinner tonight?

I leaned back in my chair for a moment thinking, dinner, just dinner, what type of dinner? I nearly hesitated before I sent him a reply. I looked at my calendar, I was free. But Dad and Stephen was home, I should spend time with them. Maybe if it was an early dinner I could go home.

Six at Hyatt?

Hyatt? Wasn't that the hotel? There were so many better options in Melbourne but I shrugged it off, maybe he had something on there after, or close to the work. But the restaurant cafe in the hotel, wasn't the best. 

I looked back at my papers, all the trees I must have killed while applying for jobs. Maybe I should ask dad his advice. He usually gave the best advice.