Chapter Three

"You alright?"

I looked at Austin who was sitting beside me in the car clutching my hand like a toddler.

"No," I said clearing my throat, the last event I had been to like this was nearly four or five years ago, while Austin and Stephen probably went to it nearly ever month with dad. Mum and I would stay home, both preferring to be out of the spotlight.

"You'll be fine, you look great if that counts for anything couz" Austin said nudging me before going back to talk to Stephen. I swallowed, I better be. I felt so out of place in this dress and heels. 

I should have known something was up when Stephen told me they were coming over, I thought it was just a family gathering which we did way to often, not a night out where all the family had to go.

I couldn't even play the jet lag card, the plane was meant to take an hour but it didn't.

It didn't help Austin had burst into my room jumping on me like I was some mattress, they didn't believe the concussed card either.

I watched as the cars started lining up at the red carpet that led into the large banquet hall, I could also see the flashes from the photographers outside.

It was the biggest business Christmas party, which means all the business owners and sponsors would be there. I shrugged out off my jacket now before I forget and watched as our parents got out in the car in front of us. 

Dad stepped out first and held out a hand for mum and I nearly laughed when Uncle Adrian took is stepping out. I could even see dad's angry face as he tried not to hit him across in front of everyone.

Soon it was our turn and I groaned as the door opened.

"Welcome to hell," whispered Tristan as he appeared out of no where beside the carpet as I got out.

"Are you joining us?"

"No, I get to escape this torture," he said before Stephen dragged me onto the carpet and I was flanked as we entered inside, the lights so bright I was sure my eyes were going to be blind for a while.

The noise level dropped intensely as I stared at the massive hall decorated, the town hall. It was in the middle of the city and was prestigious, a heritage building I was sure. There were women dressed over flamboyantly in dresses and jewelry as they walked around holding their husbands like trophies.

And then there was my parents, mum who went straight for the champagne table dragging Uncle Adrian and dad following right behind with Aunt Rose. They were one of a kind.

A hand linked through mine and I nearly fell as Austin dragged me, "Come on Fire, live a little," he grabbed a glass of wine from the passing waiter and shoved it into my hand and I stepped back as the liquid swished inside.

"I don't like wine," I said but he was gone leaving me handing a tall glass filled with liquid. I sniffed it walking towards the stairs in the corner, away from all the people, god it smelt revolting. I looked up at the chairs that surrounded the upper area, usually the town hall was used for plays, concerts, events for school. But every now and then it was used for parties like these. 

Being in the middle of CBD, the city of Melbourne it was one of the best places to hold it. The stage had chairs and tables filled with trophies, no doubt dad would get another one for the most successful business, however many years in a row but right now there was a band playing live music.

The town hall had many halls or more smaller rooms for people to socialize, grab a bite to eat.

I looked around, where on earth did they all go to, leaving me by myself, that was nice.