Chapter Fourteen

Trying to keep my eyes open was hard, extremely hard as I peered at the computer screen. I should have slept last night, but for some reason I just couldn't. I was tossing and turning and then got up to watch a movie and now it was eleven a.m. and my eyes were barely able to keep open.

I looked up at a coffee cup was placed on my desk, Stephen.

"You don't look great."

"I'm tired."

"Go home."

I shrugged, "I need to apply or more jobs. Is dad free today, I need to talk to him."

Stephen pulled a chair from the nearby desk, spinning around in it. "Meetings all day. How can I assist sister. At the cheap rate of one thousand, four hundred and thirty two dollars per minute."

"yeah...no thanks, god you think so highly of yourself." I did however, accept the coffee. It had milk, I wrinkled my nose. I took a sip and nearly choked.

"How much sugar did you put in this?"

"Not much," 

I didn't believe that, it tasted like cordial. I could barely taste the caffeine. "Where were you last night?"

"What do you mean?"

"Uh...heard you came home pretty late."

"Oh, just had dinner with a friend. Did Tristan tell you that?"

"Oh okay." Stephen stopped and then started spinning the other way and ignoring my question.

"Don't you have work to do." I asked after a while. He was starting to get super annoying. 

"Yeah...heaps. But I sort of don't want to do it." Stephen said, "But I probably should otherwise dad is going to tell me off again. He's so grumpy lately."

I could understand that, dad really wanted this tender. "Want me to help you?" I really shouldn't but i was procrastinating. 

"Nah. You're not smart enough."

I narrowed my eyes at Stephen and before I could clonk him in the head with the coffee cup he rushed off laughing. God he was annoying, how were we even related?

I stared back at the screen sighing at the job in front of me. Should i apply for it?

Hell...what do I have to lose. I might as well. 

Time goes by when you were busy. I stared at the clock, it was already the evening and I still hadn't seen dad. He really did have meetings all day.

I looked at my phone, three missed calls from Preston. I sighed, why can't he just text me? I really hated talking on the phone.

Maybe I should call him back.

"You're still here."

I looked up.

"Oh hey Tristan."

"Where were you last night."

I rolled my eyes, straight to the point. "What do you mean?"

"you were home late...who were you on a date with."

"Geez Louise...none of your damn business." I sighed leaning back in my chair. Tristan raised an eyebrow looking at me, "Really?"

I nodded, really

"What's his name?"

I rolled my eyes, "Why did you assume it's a he. It could be a girl."

"Alright, what's her name then."

"Either way Tristan, leave me alone I'm not telling you who I went on a date with, that's so weird."