Ten

Ten

When I got myself collected from the realization I had, I walked up to them with a smile plastered on my face.

"I'm so sorry for making you wait. I just got out of work." I said as I walked towards them and got the keys in my pocket.

"No worries, Ally. We were just got here ourselves." Rayne said with a smile.

I opened the door after a short pleasantry and gestured them in. I lingered behind them as they walked inside. I grabbed Rayne's arm, pulling her back outside. I know that's a rude move, knowing that we both just got acquainted in less than a few days.

"I'm so sorry, Rayne. But, I really need your help..." I stated to her in hush tones, the door still slightly ajar.

"Is this about the food?" Rayne asked, looking slightly amused. "If it is, you don't have to worry. I got you covered." She added, whispering back and winked at me.

I was stunned by her words. Not really processing what she just implied. I grabbed her arm again as she make a turn towards the door. "Wait... Uhm..." I started, but choked on my words, still shocked.

"You don't have to worry about it, Ally. I knew you were busy, so I help. I'll send you the bill if it makes you feel better." She said in her normal voice, smiling to me again.

"Thank you. Uhm... thank you so much..." I finally choked out the words, and shook my head as I try to process the situation.

"You're welcome, Neighbor." She said and winked, chuckling to herself as she walked toward the door again.

My views about Rayne turned three sixty from then. The woman just saves me from embarrassing myself and ruining a night for everybody. Though she was the one who insisted on this gathering, I'm still thankful that she helps me out from this fall out. I got inside and start to entertain my guest. We all talked for a while; well, it was Rayne who does most of the talking while I sit back and serve them some wine, which I'm glad that I bought to celebrate my success for the magazine. When the food finally arrived, I was in the kitchen pouring another glass of white wine. Rayne offered to get the door for me.

"Andy! Doc! I'm glad you two made it in time!" Rayne exclaimed, making me slightly stiff; another guest that I need to cater.

When they walked in, I had my back towards them. So, I didn't really see the other two guests until they've seated in my living room. As I turn towards them to ask if they wanted a glass of wine, my eyes landed first to a familiar set of blue eyes.

"Ally?" Logan asked his eyes wide from shock.

I gaped at him, dumbfounded that he was inside my apartment. It didn't click to me yet that he lived within my floor in the building. For a week, I didn't cross paths with him in the vicinity. Maybe he is just here because he's friends with one of the tenant in my floor.

"Wait... You two know each other?" Rayne asked.

I turned my face towards the rest of the guest, trying to shake off my shock. Everyone in the room had their head turn towards me and Logan. I begrudgingly return my gaze to Logan, who seems to recover from his shock too.

"Yes. He's my doctor." I stated coolly.

Logan's eyes slightly narrowed as he continued to look at me. He turned away from me as his face slightly soften and looks at Rayne. "Yeah. I was attending to Ms. Coleman while she was in the hospital a few weeks ago." He said sternly in his business-like voice.

He sounded angry, but I don't get why he was angry. So, I ignored his mood and changed the subject before Rayne can ask any more questions. "So, anybody hungry?" I asked aloud with a smile.

"I thought you'd never ask." Evan said with exasperation. He was the guys who I had the pleasant - not so pleasant - encounter in the elevator this morning. I couldn't help but roll my eyes from the tone of his voice.

As I walk towards the kitchen to get some more plates since the other guest arrived, I didn't notice a presence that was approaching me. I was caught off guard as I grab the plate from the cabinet, almost letting it fall off my sure hands.

"Do you need any help? Oh! Sorry for startling you." A deep, fuller voice asked with a British accent.

The accent is what gave away the surprise as to whom the voice is from. When I turn around to meet the person face to face, I was yet again caught off guard at his closeness. I took a cautious step back only to bump myself in the counter. This is one situation I do not like.

"No. I'm fine, thank you." I said my voice almost a whisper. I stood there, my eyes slightly wide from the view in front of me. To describe the man as plain is quite insulting. The man in front of me is wearing a grey suit with a white v-neck skirt beneath it. His slick blond hair styled perfectly, not a hair out of place. His sure light blue eye gleamed under the luminescent light in my kitchen. I wonder if the color would looks different if the place was darker or lighter.

I didn't notice that I was starting to ogle at him until he waved his hands in front of me. "Hello. Are you awake?" he asked teasingly, his lips twitching into a sexy grin. Oh lord that is one sexy grin.

"I'm sorry. I've not been myself lately. I've been busy with work and stuff..." I mumbled absent-mindedly. Oh lord, here comes the mumbling.

"So, this must be an inconvenience for you." He stated, his smile slightly falter.

Way to go, Al. You just made the sexy man falter his sexy grin. "No! This is not of... I mean... This is really a good idea." I exclaimed, fumbling with my words as I try to think of a reply.

He beamed at my words and lightly chuckles. "You don't need to lie, Ms. Coleman. We both know you don't want this today." He said softly to me as he slowly grabs the plate from my hand. He winks at me as he walked back towards the dining table where the rest have settled in.

I stood there, shocked. Did he just seriously wink at me? Oh lord no. I do not want this right now. Okay, maybe I like the attention I'm having from a man who is seriously, drop dead gorgeous, but the timing is so wrong. I can't flirt with that man when 'He' is just sitting just across from me. I don't get why am bothering to think of him at all since we've already broken up. I am single and a man just gave me an open invitation to flirtville.

I gather back my wits and get my head straight before walking in to battle. Maybe I'm exaggerating the situation since I'm just having dinner with my new neighbors, but this to me is like a battle of trying to be a good host for tonight.

When Rayne and I finished preparing, we dig in and eat. For the first minute and so, we were all preoccupied with our food to start a conversation. It was Rayne who broke the silence.

"Ally, how did your day go with the magazine?" she asked with interest.

"Uhm... well. We just had the go sign for printing for next month's issue." I replied earnestly.

"You work for a magazine company?" Evan, who was seating beside me, who I just notice wearing a plain black shirt, leaving his leather jacket somewhere, asked.

"Yes. I work as a Layout Designer for FACE magazine." I replied glancing towards him for a moment and look back at my food.

"What does a Layout designer do?" Evan asked his voice has a slight edge of interest in them. I only hope his interest is about my job and not me.

"Well... As a layout designer, I am responsible on putting and arranging every detail from the art and copy, to columns and ads. I make the magazine look appealing and easy in the eyes for the readers." I answered him sternly, my eyes looking down at my food as I slice myself a small chunk of chicken.

After I've given Evan my answer, there was a long silence in the room. I look up from my plate and met everyone's eyes on me. "What?" I asked shyly, feeling conscious with their stares.

"You are quite passionate about your work, Ms. Coleman." The Brit stated with a soft smile.

I flushed from his words and look away from him, only to meet a set of familiar Caribbean blue eyes. His lips twitched into a smirk, which - for no apparent reason - made my heart race. I felt myself flush even more.

"I didn't know you were so focus and passionate with your job. That makes me feel like a slob." Rayne said, interrupting me from my reverence. She glances at me for a second, looking apologetic. I gave her a small smile of thanks.

From then on, Rayne kept the conversation flowing but not anymore directed at me. I might had felt angry at her for this hosting thing, but since she had help me with the food, and the entertaining, and also for helping me out on having an awkward moment, I'm now grateful for having this woman at the moment. She can be loud and very pushy; I've dealt with a lot of woman who have the same characteristic, what's another one?

After we ate almost everything in the dining table, we all split into small groups and chatted with each other. I stayed with the Brit, who I now know his name, Andre Pierce. We were in the balcony drinking a glass of white wine as we talked about me. I'm not the type to be the one who's the main topic on a conversation, but he kept on asking me questions about work.

"So, you've been with the company for three years and they've given you a chance for the Art Director position since your Boss would be retiring. Did I sum that up well?" He asked with a small smile, as his eye twinkled with interest.

"Yup. That's about it." I beamed at him.

"Wouldn't your boss just recommend you to her boss or something rather than having this trial for the position? I mean, she would know by now about your potential." He asked his eyebrow crunched together with frustration. He sure is into this conversation.

"Yea. But, I wanted to prove myself more to earn this position. I don't want it given to be because it is expected." I said earnestly with a soft smile.

"You're Amazing, Allison. I've never known a person who would ask to be challenge. I mean, people would always take the short cut to success if it was in their reach." Andre said his eye staring at mine as it gleams with wonder.

I flushed under his gaze and look away. I know what this situation feels like and I have been in such situation. I know who easy it is to take his words and fell in love with it, but I've already fallen in these traps before and where did it get me? I am heartbroken and I got cheated. I don't think I am ready to be with any man as of the moment.

I look back at Andre, who was still looking at me with wonder, and gave him a small smile of reply without a word. This man is so beautiful; plus, he knows how to make a girl feel special, but I couldn't take a chance with him. I know I'm going to regret it, but it's better to regret about having a man like him slip out of your hands than a man such as him to break your heart again.

I felt myself shiver at the cold wind and ask him if we could take our conversation inside. The rest of my guests were hull up in my living room, talking and laughing about something. Andre and I join in the conversation but I wasn't anymore in the mood to talk. So, I was mostly silent and listen to them.

Around eleven, Rayne signal that the party was over; maybe she understood my sign that I was out when I covered up a yawn. Okay, that really wasn't much a sign, I was really tired and I had a long day. They all excused themselves and thank me as they all walked towards the door. Rayne and Andre gave me a hug and a kiss in the cheek, saying good night. Levi and Evan shook my hand - well, I shook Evan's hand as he tried to give me a hug.

As they all turned in and went to their apartment while I stand outside the door, waving at them, I felt Logan's eyes bore by my side as he stood still in my living room, not giving any signs of going home at all. When I knew everyone isn't coming out of their places, I went back inside, closing the door behind me with a sigh. I knew he wasn't going to go without us talking privately.

So, I close my eyes and took a deep breath, gathering all of the confidence and sanity I have left to face him. I need to have something to hold my foot in the ground and not get swayed by this man. I know all too well how just those eyes make my body react in ways I don't have any control, and how his words can make my heart rise without my consent.

---

A/N:

Hello my lovely readers. Thank you so much for your continuing support on this story, and for reading it chapter after chapter, week after week. It means so much to me! You've given me the courage to continue writing. :D

Sorry for the mushy stuff. It was bound to happen somehow. Well, anyways, do continue to read and enjoy! Vote if you must, and comment if you like. You can always PM me. Don't be afriad, I don't bite.

Til next chapter!