Epilogue

Epilogue

The light streaming from my window was too bright that it woke me up. Well, also the loud sound from outside my apartment was another factor in disrupting my sleep. In a heavy sigh, I rolled myself out of bed and drag my heavy feet to the bathroom. When I was finished freshening up and ready to go, the first thing I saw after opening my door were men in blue jumpsuit. Maybe for other women, it was a dream coming true, men covered in sweat with muscle flexing as they carry huge boxes inside the apartment across from mine, but that's not me.

"Hey. Good morning. I'm sorry about the ruckus so early in the morning." A tall, slim, tanned brunette girl stood in my view, reeling me back to reality.

"No. It's okay. I was already awake. Actually, the noise helped me wake up so I wouldn't be late for work." I replied with a smile as I studied her for a second. She was a pretty woman, though she looked out of town from the plain white shirt and jeans she was wearing. She might be one of those girls who don't like fashion, or dressing up nicely. Annette would have a field day with this girl.

"I'm Andy, by the way. I'll be moving here starting... Now, I suppose." She stated, slightly unsure at the end as she held out a hand towards me to shake.

I shook her hands and offered her a warm smile. She looks like she isn't from around here. "Ally. It's nice to meet you Andy."

"So, do you live here long? Any places you'd advice for me to see?" She asked shyly as she tries to keep up small talks.

"No, I just moved here." I replied, which made her eyes gleam brightly for a second. "But, I've lived in this city since I graduated collage. I just had a nasty break up with my boyfriend and here I am." I added, not sure why I told her that old tale.

"Oh. I'm so sorry about that." She replied sadly, feeling shy again.

"So, where are you from?" I asked, out of courtesy, since she started to look uncomfortable.

"Oh. I'm from the south. I move here for some family issue. And, I got this job, that's why I could afford this place." She replied with a small smile, but shook her head right at the end, smiling like there was some inside joke that I don't know.

"Oh. Where do you work?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Ah... Uhm... Ah..." She stutter, looking unsure whether to reply to it or not.

"You know, you don't have to tell me, right? I was just being polite." I stated with a chuckle to get her out of her misery.

"No. It's just... I work for the Maxwell Enterprises as a secretary..." She replied shyly, like she was ashamed of her job.

"Maxwell?" I asked, taken back by the name. "You mean you work for William Maxwell?"

"Yeah." She gave me a curt nod and looked away from me, like she didn't like to discuss about it.

"Oh. I'm so sorry if I sound like a freak, or something. I mean, William Maxwell is the bachelor of the bachelors in the city. The man owns half of this town..." I stated in awe, not sure if she was telling me the truth. I mean, why a country girl would get a job with all time, rich and famous, William Maxwell unless you were. "Are you sleeping with him?" I asked bluntly. I covered my mouth as she turns to look at me angrily. "I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to sound..." I stuttered in apology.

Andy looked away from me and sighed. "No, it's okay. I'm not sleeping with him; don't worry about that if you are his fan. The man is a jerk anyways..." she mumbled in reply.

"Don't worry. I'm not a fan." I replied with a chuckle. "You might be the only girl I knew who isn't attracted to his charms. I thought every girl that works for that man is under his spell." I stated in awe.