Glacius

Glacius

Sirius ran faster than he'd ever run in his entire life, down the length of the tunnel, headed for the school. He shoved the warm cheese and pork chop that Peter had stolen for him into his mouth as he went, knowing he wouldn't have time to get to breakfast. He fell a couple times, tripping over roots and hitting the ground with his knees, only making his messy clothes even dirtier. Yanking the invisibility cloak on over his head when he reached the Whomping Willow, he pulled the lever and scrambled out onto the grass before bolting out over the grounds. When he'd reached a shaded place, back pressed to the castle stone, he pulled the cloak off and jammed it roughly into his bag. "Alright, quickest way to Charms," he murmured, thinking about the layout of the castle, desperately wishing he had the Marauder's Map with him to check on it.

Finally, he sprinted toward the greenhouses. He crept along, ducking below a fence covered with big yellow flowers that giggled and waved their leaves at him as he snuck by them. He peeked over as he neared the back of greenhouse three and then hurriedly vaulted over the fence and made for the entrance between the Bell Towers. He rushed across down the corridor, his eyes flicking out the door to the Transfiguration courtyard, where he saw a herd of Ravenclaws walking by, probably on their way to Herbology with the Slytherins. He dodged 'round a bend and into a passageway they'd found that would bring him up to the Charms corridor.

He came skidding down the hallway toward the Charms door - from the wrong direction as they usually would - just as Lily was stepping inside, also looking hurried and disheveled, though not anywhere near as badly as Sirius did. He was panting and red faced and her hair was out of place and they ran into each other and both took a step back as Lily's books spilled to the floor before them. Sirius reached for one, and so did she, and their heads banged against one another with a thunk and they both pulled back, groaning. Lily reached again for the books, then looked up at him. "You're alright then?"

"Brilliant," he wheezed.

"Good." She turned to the Charms classroom, "Oh. Um. Whatever James Potter tells you happened - he's exaggerating," she added and disappeared inside.

Sirius raised an eyebrow and quickly hastened after Lily, tossing himself in next to James at their usual seat, still breathing heavily.

James looked over at him. "Oi, you are rank," he complained, waving a hand beneath his nose to evacuate the smell. "You couldn't have changed?"

"I only just... made it here... as it is... you tosser," Sirius panted, clutching a stitch in his side.

"You look like bloody hell," James commented.

Sirius grinned, "I feel like bloody hell, too. Oiiii that's a long run." He leaned back in his chair, exhausted, then he noticed that each of their desks had a cup of water upon it and he leaned forward, "Perfect day for Flitwick to be providing refreshments," he said, catching up his water and throwing it back quickly.

"Uhhh," James reached a hand out to stop him, but the water was already down, and Sirius was smacking his lips. James looked up at Flitwick, who had just finished putting the last of the glasses before Lily. "Sirius has drank our assignment, Professor," he said.

Sirius wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and put the glass down.

"Mr. Black! Please don't drink the assignments!" Flitwick waved his wand, "Aquamenti," he called and it refilled instantly with more water as Flitwick put the tray he'd been carrying down on his desk and climbed up his stack of books to be seen from the front of the classroom. "Today, we'll be learning the Freezing Charm, glacius," announced Flitwick. "The Freezing Charm is most useful in situations in which you need to cool things down - for example, an you've found an ashwinder in your closet or a salamander. But the Freezing Charm will do wonders for creating ways across running water in a pinch and also --" he waved his wand at an extra glass and instantly there was a frost to the outside of it, "-- making a cold drink on a hot summer day." Flitwick grinned, lifted the glass, then looked at Sirius again, "But still, please don't drink the assignment."