A Bit of Logic

A Bit of Logic

Because the were beyond exhausted, Sirius and James had very nearly overslept, and the lot of them missed breakfast in the Great Hall. They had to hurry in getting ready after Remus and Peter got them up just so that they could get to the Defense corridor in time.

It was becoming a bit of a tradition for the boys to gather outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and press their ears to the wall to see if they could hear anything going on inside. "We should sell merchandise for the event," Sirius said as they trotted through the halls of Hogwarts to the wing, "T-shirts, balloons, commemorative drinkware..."

"Who all is going to purchase it?" James asked.

"Everyone of course. It could be like I was taught by Professor Veigler September 1973-January 1974. They'll be like collectables, see, and the more teachers you have, the smarter you must be."

"Nobody's gonna buy that," said James, rolling his eyes.

"Speaking of people buying things," Sirius said, his eyes suddenly lighting up with memory, "We ought to work on duplicating the Map."

Peter looked up from his toast, which he had been thoroughly engaged with prior, having run down to knick it from the kitchens in a frantic panic when it became apparent they weren't making it to the Great Hall. "Duplicating it? Why?"

"To sell it," Sirius said, "Remember? We were gonna sell it to all the lost little firsties."

"Are we still doing that?" Remus asked, confused, "I thought we ended up getting off from that idea and just doing it for ourselves?"

"Yeah," James said, "I don't reckon I want some ickle widdle firsty knowing all about our secret passages and stuff! That' for us to know. Plus, if we sold it, you know Filch would end up with a copy of it somehow and there would go all our secret escapes from him!"

Sirius frowned, he hadn't considered that. "Well... what keeps Filch from finding our copy sometime and knowing about the passageways?"

"Well we aren't leaving it laying about and -- morrrrrning Evans," James sing-songed, changing mid-sentence what he was talking about. He plastered a grin over his face as they walked up to her in the corridor outside the Defense classroom, where she was standing before the door, patiently waiting.

"Yes, good morning Evans," said Sirius with a wide smile. "How are you today?"

"I don't want to know what you lot were up that's made you miss breakfast," she said.

"They overslept," Remus supplied.

Lily raised an eyebrow. "Well, that's incredibly boring compared to what I expected of you lot.'

"How's... how's Severus today, love?" James asked. Sirius quickly elbowed him.

"I haven't seen him yet," Lily replied, sounding a little anxious and she sighed, "I do miss him."

Sirius asked, "He wasn't at breakfast? Odd, isn't it?" He snickered and James did, too.

"None of the Slytherins were," Lily said, "There was some sort of problem in the dungeons by --" she stopped mid-sentence, a dawning lighting up her eyes as she put the two and two together and she looked at them. "What did you do?"

"Us? Evans! We're innocent. We wouldn't have had time to do anything. We've been, er, swamped," Sirius said.

James nearly busted a gut at this.