Taking Up The Torch

Taking Up The Torch

It had been a few days since the Quidditch try outs and the boys were in the Great Hall eating breakfast, James and Sirius discussing - as usual lately - broom-handling tactics with Frank Longbottom when the owls came in through the high vaulted windows with the morning post. Everything was fine - business as usual - until the first of the Daily Prophet post owls had been received and a shriek went up across the Great Hall that put a shiver down Sirius's spine as he spun 'round to see a seventh year Hufflepuff girl with a horrified expression on her face. Another scream came up from Ravenclaw - and another - a couple boys opened the pages and yelled blimey! Soon there was an absolute rush as all the students tried to grab hold of one of the papers and see what was the matter. Sirius hurriedly untied his copy of the paper from the delivery owl's leg, chucking the knuts to him in a haste, and shook the paper open.

HUNDREDS TRANSPORTED TO ST. MUNGO'S FOR TREATMENT OF DRAGON POX!

Sirius looked up, his face pale, "Oh no."

James grabbed the paper and read the headline, his eyes going wide. "Bloody hell." He started reading the article outloud. "Following an incident involving stolen vials of the deadly Dragon Pox virus last month - which was covered up by the Ministry for Magic until these latest developments - hundreds of witches, wizards, and muggles alike have been transported to the wizarding hospital, St. Mungo's, where healers are working 'round the clock to ensure that all of those infected with the disease are treated as efficiently as possible..." James shoved the paper at Sirius, "I can't keep reading. Does it say anything about my Dad?" his voice was thick and eyes watery.

Sirius skimmed the article. "No... no... wait - yes! Yes, here, but wait - it's good. He's okay. In fact --" He cleared his throat, "Early detection of the disease is positively crucial and as many will know, Dragon Pox is often difficult to detect in it's early stages as each strain will begin with different onset symptoms. Luckily, healers at St. Mungo's were easily able to identify visitors with the Dragon Pox as they arrived due to Fleamont Potter, who friends know as Charlus. Charlus was exposed the day the unidentified thief escaped aurors and has been admitted at St. Mungo's hospital since. The ability to compare Charlus Potter's symptoms with new arrivals to the hospital have allowed healers to diagnose the virus as quickly as possible. Now, hundreds more have been transported from local muggle medical centres, as well as several from other wizarding hospitals for treatment by the healers."

Remus shook his head, "Look at that. Your dad's a hero again."

James, on the other hand, looked sick. "But he's definitely got it then - the dragon pox. I thought where mum didn't update me... I thought... I dunno, I just thought he was alright."

Sirius put the paper down and put an arm 'round James's shoulder. "It's okay, mate, he's helping."

Peter took the paper up and looked it over. "Says the Ministry is still looking for the thief. It's a woman of unknown identity, suspected to have stolen the vials from the healing research centre in Diagon Alley, where Healers go to be trained." He frowned, "You don't think of bad guys as being women much, do you?"

"Some of the most terrible wizarding villains have been women," Remus said to the contrary, "If you paid attention in History of Magic you'd know that."

"Nobody pays attention in History of Magic," said Sirius, "You only know because you read the bloody text books like it's fun or something."

"Learning is fun," Remus said.

"Oi. How are you not a bleedin' Ravenclaw?" Sirius demanded.