Where Dogs Can Run Free

The problem with having gone out to the Shrieking Shack so early, of course, which neither of them had thought of before, was that by the time the sun began to sink below the horizon, both Sirius and Remus were positively famished. To the point of shaking. They ate some of the beef jerky that Remus had thought to toss in his bag, but a couple strips of jerky each was nowhere near enough for the amount of physical strain they were about to put on their bodies, becoming dogs for the night. They needed a good deal more protein than that to keep strong. Especially Remus, whose wolf tendencies would be heightened by an empty stomach.

"There's nothing to do but go for food," Sirius decided.

"You're going to leave me?" Remus sounded upset.

Sirius's stomach rumbled in reply.

Then so did Remus's.

Sirius didn't want to leave him alone. Especially knowing that hunger would heighten the wolf's agitation. He was liable to eat his own bloody leg or something if he was hungry. Sirius didn't like the idea of it - he could still see in his mind's eye the wolf tugging the flesh from his own foot the month before. The fresh, concave scar on Remus's wrist the evidence that the wolf had taken out actual chunks of his own skin without hesitation before made Sirius extra nervous. The last thing Remus Lupin needed was another scar. He had more than enough already.

Then Sirius had an idea.

"Well, we're going to be dogs once we change over, aren't we?" he said, "Dogs hunt. Why don't we hunt? We'll just go out and catch us a rabbit or something."

Remus's eyes clouded, "That's a horrible idea."

"Why?"

"Because, werewolves don't hunt rabbits, Sirius!" said Remus, "They hunt people."

"But you're my Beta, so if I tell you to hunt rabbits, you have to hunt rabbits," Sirius replied. He grinned, "You have to do whatever I tell you to do, Moony."

Remus looked uneasy, "It's a bad idea."

"Stop being such a worrier!" Sirius answered, waving a hand dismissively.

Remus said, "Yes, I'm a worrier for being afraid a werewolf on the run through the center of Hogsmeade might be a bad idea."

"Check your sarcasm at the door, wild thing!" Sirius admonished him. "I'm not proposing we go hunting through the center of town, obviously. There's fields and woods and mountains for miles and miles in the other direction. We go that way, into the woods, into the darkness. The moon's rays will be weakened on you, for one, so the wolf's grip on your mind will be weaker. You may be able to control yourself without me, even, once we get in the real thick of it. And if not, you're my beta," Sirius reminded him, "You have to do everything I tell you do as your alpha."

Remus hesitated.

"Have you ever stretched your legs as a wolf before? Ever run through the forest? Ever felt the leaves rustling beneath your feet?"

Remus shook his head.

"Oh man, Rey," Sirius said dreamily, "The way it feels - the leaves and twigs rushing beneath your padded foot..."

Remus shook his head, "Look at you trying to sell me on this incredibly mad idea."

"We can get food. You can experience being wild."

"You're insane," Remus answered.

"It feels so good," Sirius said.

"What if something happens?"